Mesa's Radeon "RADV" Vulkan Driver Makes First Steps Towards Ray-Tracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

AMD doesn’t have tensor cores so it’s hard to see them making anything comparable to DLSS
    Deep Learning Super Sampling adoption is low considering the mess of release. AMD is gradually working of Super Resolution without rush from RDNA2 and onward.
    Additionally, implementing ray-tracing i.e. reflections, refraction and diffusion on an open-source driver is more interesting.

Comment

Honestly, who the fuck cares?
      AMD, can we PLEASE have HDR sorted first?
      How many game use ray tracing?
      How many use HDR?
      How many videos can use ray tracing?
      How many HDR?

This is frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
        A ray traced desktop environment might be really nice. Could be all kinds of neat things that could be done. But I don't think the GPU usage would be nice lol. Who needs mining software when Linux will do the same thing for you

Wouldn't mind if someone did it only during movement and then paused it. That way idle would still be low powered and the computer would be quiet instead of fans ramped up.
        what is there to trace that cant be done with contorting 2d planes? or are you thinking of a fully 3d desktop where objects have depth, but that's no longer a desktop

gpu usage would be fine since it's still not like a complex game environment

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          Honestly, who the fuck cares?
          AMD, can we PLEASE have HDR sorted first?
          How many game use ray tracing?
          How many use HDR?
          How many videos can use ray tracing?
          How many HDR?

This is frustrating.
          Current desktop environments do not support HDR. Getting consensus in those environments has proved challenging. The driver side is straight forward and largely in place today.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Current desktop environments do not support HDR. Getting consensus in those environments has proved challenging. The driver side is straight forward and largely in place today.
            Correct me if I am wrong. In order to use HDR content I don't need specific desktop environment. Same way I don't need environment for OpenGL or Vulkan.
            If I need to open VLC in naked Xorg Session - its good enough for me. VLC supposedly supports HDR. So, will I have HDR content on my screen if Screen supports HDR and my Video Card is 5700XT? Something tells me - no.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong. In order to use HDR content I don't need specific desktop environment. Same way I don't need environment for OpenGL or Vulkan.
              If I need to open VLC in naked Xorg Session - its good enough for me. VLC supposedly supports HDR. So, will I have HDR content on my screen if Screen supports HDR and my Video Card is 5700XT? Something tells me - no.
              You are not correct. The desktop environment needs to support it. For some background see:
              Wayland is still lacking proper consideration for color management & support for high dynamic range (HDR) imagery. However, a group of renegade devs has begun an effort to fix this situation.

Comment

You are not correct. The desktop environment needs to support it. For some background see:
                Wayland is still lacking proper consideration for color management & support for high dynamic range (HDR) imagery. However, a group of renegade devs has begun an effort to fix this situation.
                From same link you gave me:

"While there are well established tools and workflows for how to do color management on X11, even X11 has not gained support for HDR. There were plans for it (Alex Goins, DeepColor Visuals), but as far as I know nothing really materialized from them. Right now, the only way to watch HDR content on a HDR monitor in Linux is to use the DRM KMS API directly, in other words, not use any window system, which means not using any desktop environment."

I said earlier "If I need to open VLC in naked Xorg Session - its good enough for me."

So how am I wrong?
                I can write a simple script that will open KODI or VLC or whatever in new Xorg session that does not have windows manager. Will it work?

Comment

From same link you gave me:

"While there are well established tools and workflows for how to do color management on X11, even X11 has not gained support for HDR. There were plans for it (Alex Goins, DeepColor Visuals), but as far as I know nothing really materialized from them. Right now, the only way to watch HDR content on a HDR monitor in Linux is to use the DRM KMS API directly, in other words, not use any window system, which means not using any desktop environment."

I said earlier "If I need to open VLC in naked Xorg Session - its good enough for me."

So how am I wrong?
                  I can write a simple script that will open KODI or VLC or whatever in new Xorg session that does not have windows manager. Will it work?
                  No. X doesn't support HDR. As per the quote above, it means using the KMS API directly. I.e., writing your own application which directly opens the the GPU kernel driver and directly sets the mode and sets up the HDR state. It's possible some KODI or some other video apps have direct KMS support, but in that case, the application itself is opening the driver and setting up the display rather than X.

Comment

No. X doesn't support HDR. As per the quote above, it means using the KMS API directly. I.e., writing your own application which directly opens the the GPU kernel driver and directly sets the mode and sets up the HDR state. It's possible some KODI or some other video apps have direct KMS support, but in that case, the application itself is opening the driver and setting up the display rather than X.
                    thanks for info!

Comment

Working...
                    X