Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend in distress "fglrx-installer_8.600.orig.tar.gz"

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Last edited by bourbon36; 24 March 2009, 02:19 AM.

Originally posted by bourbon36 View Post
    Can i just get a little help on how to install thease latest with 3d support " fglrx-installer_8.600.orig.tar.gz "drivers for ubuntu 9.04 , i have no problems if they were in .bin .run .deb form , im just not cluey on compiling my own etc , alittle step by step for dummies for me & other people who are having trouble would be great thanks.
    Firstly, we need more information on where you got that file. It looks like a source package that is used to generate a .deb installer. Normally the .orig.tar.gz files have an accompanying *.diff.gz file.

How you'd go about it is (IF and ONLY IF it is a apt-source package):
    1. tar -xvf *whatever*.orig.tar.gz
    2. gunzip *whatever*.diff.gz
    3. patch -p0 < *whatever*.diff (without the gz extension)
    4. cd *whatever*
    5. sudo apt-get build-dep *whatever* (in this case, fglrx-installer)
    6. dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot *whatever* (in this case, fglrx-installer)

You'll arrive at built .deb packages that you install.

You will need a whole lot of other dependencies to be building deb packages (like dhmake).

Before you do any of the above steps, please provide info on where you got your package and furthermore, never, EVER forget to read the README file for more information. Hope that helps.

Comment

got it from this thread , the driver is in the resp in ubuntu 9.04.

Comment

got this from this thread

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16059

Comment

jesus christ.

you take a driver that was originally released for ubuntu as deb package, but you dont take it the smart way, you get the source from somewhere?

wtf. seems like a typical ubuntu problem

Comment

thanks niniendowarrior it worked.

ps: questioneer i want to learn new ways is that allright ?

Comment

Originally posted by bourbon36 View Post
              thanks niniendowarrior it worked.
              Glad to have helped.

Comment

Why in the world would you want to use fglrx 8.6 in Ubuntu 9.04?

And why would you want to compile and install it manually, anyway?

Catalyst 9.3 is in the repos, I think. Why not use that?

[edit] I just noticed that you seem to think that 8.6 is the "latest" driver package... why would you think that? It's from June of '08.

My mind is blown by this thread.

Comment

I think the reference is to 8.60, which IIRC is the internal version number for the driver bundled with Ubuntu 9.04 (the Ubuntu driver is based on an early version of our April release), ie Catalyst 9.4 will probably have an internal version of 8.60something.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I think the reference is to 8.60, which IIRC is the internal version number for the driver bundled with Ubuntu 9.04 (the Ubuntu driver is based on an early version of our April release), ie Catalyst 9.4 will probably have an internal version of 8.60something.
                    Oh, aha.

Well, the question still stands... why would the OP want to manually compile this, if it's available in the repos for direct installation?

Comment

Working...
                    X