No announcement yet.

Radeon Vulkan Variable Rate Shading Benchmarks For Boosting RDNA2 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Vulkan Variable Rate Shading Benchmarks For Boosting RDNA2 Performance

Phoronix: Radeon Vulkan Variable Rate Shading Benchmarks For Boosting RDNA2 Performance

Landing in Mesa 21.1 on Friday was a variable rate shading (VRS) override for the Radeon Vulkan "RADV" driver for providing significant performance boosts by effectively rendering less. This feature is limited to RDNA2 graphics processors while here are some benchmarks on what it means for 4K gaming with the AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards on Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The roof of the car in DIRT Rally looks quite crappy imho. But perhaps it's not so distracting...

Comment

Doesn't really look any different than just turning down shadow detail, and likely results in a similar performance gain.

Comment

Hi Michael

I would imagine that this might affect Antialiasing, but these pictures in the examples are not full resolution.
        Any chance you could add the full resolution images ?

br Magnus

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
          Hi Michael

I would imagine that this might affect Antialiasing, but these pictures in the examples are not full resolution.
          Any chance you could add the full resolution images ?

br Magnus
          THey are full resolution if you click on the image and then right click 'view image' from that page.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

THey are full resolution if you click on the image and then right click 'view image' from that page.
            oh.. nice...
            my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Very minor comment: when doing that, the server is providing a different favicon, I guess an older one.

Feel free to delete this comment after reading.

Comment

Certainly would be interesting to see the effect at 1080p on lower end RDNA2 cards.

Hopefully more games will make explicit use of this in targeted (dark/shadowed/smoothly shaded) areas in the future so that the image quality remains nearly perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
                  Certainly would be interesting to see the effect at 1080p on lower end RDNA2 cards.

Hopefully more games will make explicit use of this in targeted (dark/shadowed/smoothly shaded) areas in the future so that the image quality remains nearly perfect.
                  Didn't Michael test all the available RDNA2 cards?

Comment

"minor visual quality loss"?
                    No, no, no... the quality lost is substantial in many areas. I can't be the only one seeing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X