No announcement yet.

Radeon Vulkan Variable Rate Shading Benchmarks For Boosting RDNA2 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The closer to 60 fps it gets, the less useful it seems to be. Not so sure about this one.

Comment

Originally posted by dpanter View Post

Yeah, those exact words were used in Michaels article. Made me think he might need glasses...
      Your blog was a great read, definitely clear what to expect from forcing this setting.

Some quick testing on my 8700K/6900XT in 3440x1440 showed a ~15% fps increase in Islanders (native) and ~4% fps increase in Dying Light (Proton-6.5-GE-2/DXVK), both showing drastic quality reduction. The effect is akin to anti-antialiasing in some places. This example gif (200% zoom) illustrates the effect on the Islanders logo letters, but the pillar on the left is unaffected. Dying Light screenshots do not illustrate the terrible feeling of seeing strong aliasing everywhere, it's really jarring.
      IIRC from the blog post, there are heuristics in place to disable it on 2D UI elements due to this, but I guess the heuristics don't work in some corner cases like in your screenshot above.

Now, I wonder how it would look/perform with some shader-based post-processing anti-aliasing (I forgot the name)? Also, ideally VRS should be controlled by the game, and selectively applied to game elements, and during some sequences.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
        The closer to 60 fps it gets, the less useful it seems to be. Not so sure about this one.
        It be more useful if it was dynamic. Unfortunately ALLOT of my games with 6800XT at 4k dip down to 40fps in areas, so if it helped in those instances it be a bonus.

Comment

Working...
        X