Radeon Vulkan Driver Adds Option Of Rendering Less For ~30% Greater Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

I've been looking into it a little, but it's not a priority.

Are you aware of any game or app that actually uses mesh shaders? I haven't seen one yet. There are also no proper test cases, only a couple of demos from NVidia.
    hmmm don't know any games atm. only know of 3dmark's mesh shader bench. but i do know consoles support it so future games will most likely have it. i've seen a few people on the linux_gaming subreddit ask about dx12 ultimate "support" in dxvk and dx12 ultimate is just a name that consists of mesh shaders, sampler feedback, tier 1 and 2 support of VRS, and ray tracing.

i'm just hoping radv gets support for it all for future games. nvidia on linux already has support for all those features in vulkan.
    Last edited by fafreeman; 11 April 2021, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Unreal Engine 4+ now has DLSS as standard option. So basically all UE4 games will apparently support it. I don't know if it will work under Linux but a game I'm playing has it as a option in settings. BUT I have 6800XT so stuck in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        Unreal Engine 4+ now has DLSS as standard option. So basically all UE4 games will apparently support it. I don't know if it will work under Linux but a game I'm playing has it as a option in settings. BUT I have 6800XT so stuck in the past.
        dlss doesn't work in wine / proton and from the sounds of it, it won't for awhile. last time i looked into it i didn't even see any active development to get it to work. it only works native and there are zero native linux games that support it. unreal supporting it is interesting, but the chances of getting a native linux port is pretty slim.

what's nice about what mesa is doing with vrs is that it doesn't actually need game support for it. though want to point out both work differently. what they do share in common is both work by reducing image quality. dlss just tries to be intelligent about it.
        Last edited by fafreeman; 12 April 2021, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Unreal Engine 4+ now has DLSS as standard option. So basically all UE4 games will apparently support it.
          Is it still the case that DLSS needs game-specific training, or do they now have a generic model that works well enough that you can use it with any game?

Because, if the former (and the way DLSS 1.0 worked), the game developer would still have to train a model for their game. The point of Unreal Engine support would just be to streamline the process of adding support for it, but wouldn't necessarily make DLSS support automatic.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
            what's nice about what mesa is doing with vrs is that it doesn't actually need game support for it. though want to point out both work differently. what they do share in common is both work by reducing image quality. dlss just tries to be intelligent about it.
            I know what you're trying to say, but I'd point out that VRS is applied selectively, in what one would hope is an intelligent fashion. However, this intelligence is supplied by the developers devising explicit heuristics on how to sample textures.

DLSS, on the other hand, feeds the rendered frame into a trained neural network, which then performs upscaling & simulated anti-aliasing on it. That's ridiculously over-simplified, but it gets at the "intelligent" part a little better.

BTW, it's technically possible to combine VRS and DLSS, but it's an open question (as far as I know) how well DLSS would cope with VRS.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
              hmmm don't know any games atm. only know of 3dmark's mesh shader bench. but i do know consoles support it so future games will most likely have it. i've seen a few people on the linux_gaming subreddit ask about dx12 ultimate "support" in dxvk and dx12 ultimate is just a name that consists of mesh shaders, sampler feedback, tier 1 and 2 support of VRS, and ray tracing.

i'm just hoping radv gets support for it all for future games. nvidia on linux already has support for all those features in vulkan.
              I agree, and we will probably eventually implement it in RADV when there is something that needs it, hopefully by that time there is going to be a good way to verify the implementation, too. But even then, it is very unlikely that any game will in the near future require mesh shaders without having a fallback for the current geometry pipeline.

The problem is that currently there is only an NVidia specific Vulkan extension for mesh shaders, no official cross-vendor extension yet. We could implement the NV extension, but it's not optimal on AMD HW (due to lack of a SetMeshOutputCounts equivalent) and there are no conformance tests, which means no way to verify if what we do works well or not. And since it can't be tested, that means there is a chance it will hang your GPU when you run something we haven't tried.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                Is it still the case that DLSS needs game-specific training, or do they now have a generic model that works well enough that you can use it with any game?
                Given its in UE4, my guess is the gamedev can train it themselves if needed.

Comment

Given its in UE4, my guess is the gamedev can train it themselves if needed.
                  Nope, still have to send the textures off to NVidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

And people who show up at Microcenter early on delivery days. And people who win the Newegg Shuffle, like me. That's where I got a 6900.

Sure, the cards are difficult to get. You can't just go online and click "Buy Now". But they're not impossible to pick up.
                    Not the whole world lives in the US, this is the situation I'm dealing with in my home country: https://www.trovaprezzi.it/prezzo_sc...x_6700_xt.aspx

Comment

Working...
                    X