X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting performance results on jaunty now:

UT2004: from 60 to about 75 fps.
    glxgears: from 10k to 1k fps.
    ...I guess, the first is an improvement in the driver code; the second a better power management? The only thing, I still miss is the hardware sensor information in the control panel, as the Windows version has

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
      Everyone has access to it of cource! You should thank Ubuntu for getting out so everyone can use it!
      https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/...00.orig.tar.gz
      Looks like yet another fglrx installer ripped apart by helpful Ubuntu developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
        This X Server 1.6 supportive driver is not compatible with R300-500 graphics processors, since that support has been dropped beginning with Catalyst 9.3.
        This sounds like Catalyst 9.3 wouldn't support R3xx-R5xx, which it does in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
          I hate these back room deals where some people get access to working code and others don't. Crap like this reminds me of the reasons I switched to Linux and Free Software in the first place. On behalf of all non-Ubuntu users, ATI can take their closed binary drivers and shove it :P
          On behalf of all Ubuntu users, I don't like this either.

Comment

I'm a Ubuntu user and I don't have a problem with it.

This version of FGLRX is still the same old proprietary code it has always been, all Bryce did was put a wrapper (open) around it.

Why shouldn't AMD give a beta version of their as of yet unreleased development driver to the largest and most popular desktop Linux for testing with their as of yet unreleased development next version? Is not the additional testing and exposure a good thing?

To me...this is progress!.

Comment

Why stop with Ubuntu..why shouldn't Fedora Suse Mandriva have the opportunity to test the driver swith their pre-releases ?

Mandriva 2009.1 is already at Rc1 and is due out next month.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

As far as I know all those distros have access to pre-release drivers already through the beta program.

None of those distros *ship* binary drivers though, do they ? I think that's the essential difference here.
                Test signature

Comment

Umm is this driver same 9.4? I thought that it's still under NDA, hopefully they have official permission to share it, and if not hopefully AMD does not make a big number of it.

Comment

Is this release for X server 1.6 only or can it be installed for 1.5 (ubuntu 8.10 intrepid) too?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      As far as I know all those distros have access to pre-release drivers already through the beta program.

None of those distros *ship* binary drivers though, do they ? I think that's the essential difference here.
                      Mandriva usually provides several flavors of One cd's for beginners with the option to install live and configure their cards with the proprietary drivers.They also provide the same option for Powerpack subscribers..

Since cooker is using both kernel 2.6.29 and Xorg 1.6 I doubt any of next months releases will ship with an ATI(proprietary) driver..Most likely it will be available a day or 2 after AMD officially releases the 9.4's as an update.I've seen the kernel patches in Phorogit..

Legacy owners shouldn't be too bad off with the open driver..on my x800pro I was able to run UT2k4 and get over 30fps on some maps as long as they had fog like Tokera Forest.. other maps were fairly dismal at 10 fps and under.

I'm just happy to know that at least internally someone's is testing it out at Mandriva. I'd hate to have to wait until June or so to enjoy whats shaping up to be a good release.
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                      X