Radeon ROCm 4.1 Released - Still Without RDNA GPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the same paper:

Unlike the graphics-oriented AMD RDNA™ family, the AMD CDNA family removes all of the fixed-function hardware that is designed to accelerate graphics tasks such as rasterization, tessellation, graphics caches, blending, and even the display engine
    Or Headless RDNA.

From the RDNA whitepaper:

The new RDNA architecture is optimized for efficiency and programmability while offering backwards compatibility with the GCN architecture. It still uses the same seven basic instruction types: scalar compute, scalar memory, vector compute, vector memory, branches, export, and messages. However, the new architecture fundamentally reorganizes the data flow within the processor, boosting performance and improving efficiency.
    Both are an evolution of GCN and the biggest difference between the two is one is designed for graphics output and the other is designed for computing. Laymanized -- headless and not headless.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Both are an evolution of GCN and the biggest difference between the two is one is designed for graphics output and the other is designed for computing. Laymanized -- headless and not headless.
      Mind if I tweak this a bit ? I think it's important to distinguish between "no display connector" (with or without display HW) and "no graphics pipeline".

We do sell a lot of headless graphics cards for remote gaming and virtual desktop applications, while the compute cards are unable to do graphics even remotely.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Mind if I tweak this a bit ? I think it's important to distinguish between "no display connector" (with or without display HW) and "no graphics pipeline".

We do sell a lot of headless graphics cards for remote gaming and virtual desktop applications, while the compute cards are unable to do graphics even remotely.
        I was wondering how a CDNA would work with DRI_PRIME=1 so I guess that answers that. I guess I won't be buying those used to supplement desktop APUs

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I was wondering how a CDNA would work with DRI_PRIME=1 so I guess that answers that. I guess I won't be buying those used to supplement desktop APUs
          Yeah, they would not be good for supplementing APU graphics, although they would be really good for supplementing APU compute.
          Last edited by bridgman; 25 March 2021, 01:16 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Nice if they can give us a "prosumer" CDNA card that doesn't cost 5 grand but still gives us decent compute.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
              Nice if they can give us a "prosumer" CDNA card that doesn't cost 5 grand but still gives us decent compute.
              as soon as they have chiplet design they can easily do this.
              imagine a full version has 4 chips so they cut out 3 chips and you get a card for like the 1/4 of the price.

best case szenario for consumers would be a RDNA/CDNA chiplet design hybrid...
              it is not technically impossible to build this.

some people claim it makes no sense to split GCN into RDNA and CDNA if you put these 2 chips together in a chiplet design hybried of RDNA+CDNA...

but i think they are wrong because General Compute if you care about performance is death and more specialized chips will rule the performance.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
              X