Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon ROCm 4.1 Released - Still Without RDNA GPU Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

    Just to avoid misunderstanding, are you saying that your Radeon VII worked with earlier ROCm releases but not with 4.0 ?
    Never tried an earlier release than 4 so no clue if it would have or not, I used the opencl package from AMDs prop driver. Only tried rocm after I got my 6800xt installed which was at 4.0 in the AUR repo.

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by pete910 View Post
      Never tried an earlier release than 4 so no clue if it would have or not, I used the opencl package from AMDs prop driver. Only tried rocm after I got my 6800xt installed which was at 4.0 in the AUR repo.
      Got it - thanks.

      Just curious, which packaged driver are you using ? I'm asking because 20.45 and up use ROCm paths for OpenCL even on the packaged drivers.

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by oleid View Post
        In general, latest userspace vs latest kernel. I was wondering if the required bits are mostly frozen.
        There is a problem specific to Vega20 consumer cards in the 4.1 release that is interfering with running over the upstream kernel. Digging into it now.

        Comment


        • #44
          I got OpenCL to work for the first time on my Navi10 5700 today! Yay ... ok blender renders the default cube in ~43s on the GPU and <10s on my 3700X.
          But BMW: CPU: 3m25, GPU 1m22. So increase Tilesize -> default cube <7s on the GPU. Nice. It looks like the difference is more noticable for bigger scenes.

          I think one of the biggest problem for AMD/Rocm/OpenCL is the installation and its image.

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
            IO Die
            The IO Die was probably one of the first chips developed for the platform surrounding the AM4 socket / Zen in general.. AMD was linked up with Global Foundries back then and did not have a large R&D budget, as they had very uncompetitive CPU offerings.
            It can be used as a PCH (x570 chipset) and or as the IO Die to link the chiplets / offer all the integrated USB/Ethernet,SATA PCIe connectivity.
            This chips is developed for GF 12nm and still produced there. And probably the design did not change much during Zen -> Zen 3, as there is no reason for that / R&D is expensive for little gains.
            AMD still has contracts with Global Foundries dating back to their split. They have to purchase a bunch of silicon from Global Foundries each year, or else they end up paying a large financial penalty - essentially paying GF for nothing, in that case. So it's not as simple as just redoing the I/O die on a better TSMC node, which would be beneficial in terms of power usage - they have to send a bunch of money GF's way one way or another.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 24 March 2021, 04:46 PM.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post

              Got it - thanks.

              Just curious, which packaged driver are you using ? I'm asking because 20.45 and up use ROCm paths for OpenCL even on the packaged drivers.
              Package build is here https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rocm-opencl-runtime

              looks to be builkding the 4.1 branch.

              On testing my VII is not playing with rocm-opencl. Even rocminfo is not showing it!

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

                AMD still has contracts with Global Foundries dating back to their split. They have to purchase a bunch of silicon from Global Foundries each year, or else they end up paying a large financial penalty - essentially paying GF for nothing, in that case. So it's not as simple as just redoing the I/O die on a better TSMC node, which would be beneficial in terms of power usage - they have to send a bunch of money GF's way one way or another.
                Seem to recall reading that has now terminated last year IIRC but maybe completely wrong.

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post

                  There is a problem specific to Vega20 consumer cards in the 4.1 release that is interfering with running over the upstream kernel. Digging into it now.
                  Looks to be that issue as according to rocminfo it's disabling it and I need to upgrade AMDGPU


                  Code:
                  rocminfo 
                  ROCk module is loaded
                  HSA Error:  Incompatible kernel and userspace, Vega 20 [Radeon VII] disabled. Upgrade amdgpu.
                  =====================    
                  HSA System Attributes    
                  =====================    
                  Runtime Version:         1.1
                  System Timestamp Freq.:  1000.000000MHz
                  Sig. Max Wait Duration:  18446744073709551615 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) (timestamp count)
                  Machine Model:           LARGE                              
                  System Endianness:       LITTLE                              
                  
                  ==========                
                  HSA Agents                
                  =========

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by pete910 View Post

                    Seem to recall reading that has now terminated last year IIRC but maybe completely wrong.
                    The last I saw they have an agreement with specific targets and prices through the end of this year. Then there are additional agreements through until March 1st 2024, which seem a little vaguer and are possibly still up for some negotiation.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                      Looks to be that issue as according to rocminfo it's disabling it and I need to upgrade AMDGPU
                      Yep... the message is a bit misleading though... what it is supposed to be saying is "you can't run 4.1 userspace without the 4.1 kernel driver".

                      The required kernel driver changes are on their way upstream but not there yet AFAIK, so just going to newer kernel isn't going to help. I was going to say "if you can go back to 4.0 userspace in the short term that would probably be best" but you already said that you had problems with 4.0. Do you happen to remember what problems you saw ?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X