Radeon ROCm 4.1 Released - Still Without RDNA GPU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IO Die
    The IO Die was probably one of the first chips developed for the platform surrounding the AM4 socket / Zen in general.. AMD was linked up with Global Foundries back then and did not have a large R&D budget, as they had very uncompetitive CPU offerings.
    It can be used as a PCH (x570 chipset) and or as the IO Die to link the chiplets / offer all the integrated USB/Ethernet,SATA PCIe connectivity.
    This chips is developed for GF 12nm and still produced there. And probably the design did not change much during Zen -> Zen 3, as there is no reason for that / R&D is expensive for little gains.
    Furthermore this chip has do do multiple PCIe4 Lanes, which require high clockrates and that requires a lot of power.

Speculation: Maybe they did skip on some fine grain clock gating oportunities as this chip is probably high risk / complex already anyway. Just think of how many protocols / functions it has to implement.

Compare that to Renoir, which does not use that chip, it uses much less power, but only does PCIe3 and is probably a newer design and only some blocks are copied over on the logic level from the IO Die design..

Furthermore, get into AMD shoes: They have much larger demand than they can deliver products, they are limited by the 7nm capacity they booked with TSMC some years ago.. Why would the move the existing chip to a 7nm process or another TSMC process, if that means cutting down output, this would make no sense from a business standpoint.

I guess the Chip is replaced with the new Platform (New Socket + DDR5 / PCIe5) as a large part of that chip has to be redesigned then... Maybe they even move to a monolithic die on the desktop then for up to 8 or 12 core designs with included graphics.. But this is just wishfull thinking.. But on 5nm the chip could be pretty small even with 8 cores and integrated I/O die... Depends on the complexity and space requirements of then Zen 4 Cores, which we don´t know and probably wont see for another 6-12 Months.

If you wan´t good energy efficiency on the desktop today, get a renoir based APU for AM4 or wait for cezanne.
    New Platform might be different, but no one knows..

RDNA Support in ROCm
    It´s a pitty that they don´t support it.. But i do get that they focus on existing customers / HPC market with CDNA.. Still believe it´s a mistake that will materialize in the long run to not allocate more resources to it, to get a minimal RDNA Support such that academia / students can board the platform early on.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      The IO hub is actually pretty much the same between Zen2 and Zen3.
      I think this is only true for the desktop parts (Matisse/Vermeer) but not for Milan as the previous comment said. The Milan I/O chiplet is mostly the same but there are differences in the PSP and memory controllers:

Comment

The TR4 IO Die is different, it has much more IO and can talk to more chiplets.. Question is, is the AM4 IO Die a scaled down version of the TR4 IO Die, the other way arround, or are they completly different chips?

Comment

no opencl with new amd is that? well I buy nvidia or intel in the end of year, it's ridicullous at least they can help clover to have some gpgpu support out of box or simple to use, even if its bad

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

GCN is Vega/VII and earlier AMDGPU. *DNA are the GPUs released after that. RDNA is for gaming, general purpose and CDNA is for compute.

Pretty much all their APUs are GCN and I wouldn't claim those are for super computers and servers.
            My bad. I forgot it. APUs moving toward RDNA if the roadmaps are correct.
            CDNA is more like a successor to GCN and RDNA developed more independently.
            Last edited by raun0; 24 March 2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by raun0 View Post

My bad. I forgot it. APUs moving toward RDNA if the roadmaps are correct.
              CDNA is more like a successor to GCN and RDNA developed more independently.
              For all intents and purposes, CDNA is basically headless RDNA; both are the successor to GCN.

And there are RDNA APUs in the game consoles. I'm sure we'll see consumer ones eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
                The TR4 IO Die is different, it has much more IO and can talk to more chiplets..
                TR4 CPUs do not have an I/O chiplet. Only SP3, TRX40, and WRX80 do.

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
                Question is, is the AM4 IO Die a scaled down version of the TR4 IO Die, the other way arround, or are they completly different chips?
                The I/O chiplet of Epyc 7002/7003 and Threadripper 3000 is divided into 4 quadrants with two CPU IFOP links, two memory channels, 32 PCIe lanes and latency penalty for cross-quadrant communication. So it appears like 4 AM4 I/O chiplets fused together.

Comment

I’ve been using ROCm on RDNA for nearly a year now without many problems. Also tried RDNA 2 and it worked fine there. I just ran a few OpenCL samples with ROCm 4.1 on RDNA and linux 5.11.0.
                  So I don’t know why they don’t advertise support, but it’s working for me.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Can you confirm that no DKMS driver is required for mainline kernel starting 5.9?
                    I using rocm on 5.12.0-051200rc4-generic

Comment

bridgman

Would it be possible to provide a unique git repo for the _entire_ ROCm stack pulling in all the components (hip, rocr, llvm-amd, ...) so to facilitate end users to retrieve and build it?

At https://github.com/ROCmSoftwarePlatform there is a lot of stuff, but it is an headache to navigate and understand what is needed.

There is an _absolute_ need to lower the requirements to allow ppl to use the stack.
                      Even the docs at:

do not describe what packages/repo are available/needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X