X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pete910
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

There is a problem specific to Vega20 consumer cards in the 4.1 release that is interfering with running over the upstream kernel. Digging into it now.
    Looks to be that issue as according to rocminfo it's disabling it and I need to upgrade AMDGPU

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]rocminfo [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#b2b2b2]ROCk module is loaded[/COLOR]
    HSA Error:  Incompatible kernel and userspace, Vega 20 [Radeon VII] disabled. Upgrade amdgpu.
    =====================    
    HSA System Attributes    
    =====================    
    Runtime Version:         1.1
    System Timestamp Freq.:  1000.000000MHz
    Sig. Max Wait Duration:  18446744073709551615 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) (timestamp count)
    Machine Model:           LARGE                              
    System Endianness:       LITTLE                              

==========                
    HSA Agents                
    =========[/FONT]

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

AMD still has contracts with Global Foundries dating back to their split. They have to purchase a bunch of silicon from Global Foundries each year, or else they end up paying a large financial penalty - essentially paying GF for nothing, in that case. So it's not as simple as just redoing the I/O die on a better TSMC node, which would be beneficial in terms of power usage - they have to send a bunch of money GF's way one way or another.
    Seem to recall reading that has now terminated last year IIRC but maybe completely wrong.

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied

Got it - thanks.

Just curious, which packaged driver are you using ? I'm asking because 20.45 and up use ROCm paths for OpenCL even on the packaged drivers.
    Package build is here https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rocm-opencl-runtime

looks to be builkding the 4.1 branch.

On testing my VII is not playing with rocm-opencl. Even rocminfo is not showing it!

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
    IO Die
    The IO Die was probably one of the first chips developed for the platform surrounding the AM4 socket / Zen in general.. AMD was linked up with Global Foundries back then and did not have a large R&D budget, as they had very uncompetitive CPU offerings.
    It can be used as a PCH (x570 chipset) and or as the IO Die to link the chiplets / offer all the integrated USB/Ethernet,SATA PCIe connectivity.
    This chips is developed for GF 12nm and still produced there. And probably the design did not change much during Zen -> Zen 3, as there is no reason for that / R&D is expensive for little gains.
    AMD still has contracts with Global Foundries dating back to their split. They have to purchase a bunch of silicon from Global Foundries each year, or else they end up paying a large financial penalty - essentially paying GF for nothing, in that case. So it's not as simple as just redoing the I/O die on a better TSMC node, which would be beneficial in terms of power usage - they have to send a bunch of money GF's way one way or another.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 24 March 2021, 04:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mathias
    replied
    I got OpenCL to work for the first time on my Navi10 5700 today! Yay ... ok blender renders the default cube in ~43s on the GPU and <10s on my 3700X.
    But BMW: CPU: 3m25, GPU 1m22. So increase Tilesize -> default cube <7s on the GPU. Nice. It looks like the difference is more noticable for bigger scenes.

I think one of the biggest problem for AMD/Rocm/OpenCL is the installation and its image.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post
    In general, latest userspace vs latest kernel. I was wondering if the required bits are mostly frozen.
    There is a problem specific to Vega20 consumer cards in the 4.1 release that is interfering with running over the upstream kernel. Digging into it now.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by pete910 View Post
    Never tried an earlier release than 4 so no clue if it would have or not, I used the opencl package from AMDs prop driver. Only tried rocm after I got my 6800xt installed which was at 4.0 in the AUR repo.
    Got it - thanks.

Just curious, which packaged driver are you using ? I'm asking because 20.45 and up use ROCm paths for OpenCL even on the packaged drivers.

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied

Just to avoid misunderstanding, are you saying that your Radeon VII worked with earlier ROCm releases but not with 4.0 ?
    Never tried an earlier release than 4 so no clue if it would have or not, I used the opencl package from AMDs prop driver. Only tried rocm after I got my 6800xt installed which was at 4.0 in the AUR repo.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by pete910 View Post
    Its a Radeon VII , ver 4.0 would'nt work with either.
    Just to avoid misunderstanding, are you saying that your Radeon VII worked with earlier ROCm releases but not with 4.0 ?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    I'm not sure I like that idea. I understand the focus on the super computing contract as that can have a huge impact on AMD. However I really believe that those running those professional compute systems would rather prefer to have the same ROCm running on their personal systems, at work or at home. To put it another way a split up ROCm is likely to turn a large number of people off. That is sorta like telling somebody they can run this magnificent C++ compiler at work but must run a junior implementation at home.

You need to consider how easy it is these days to run, at home, what would be consider super computer work less than a decade ago. Eventually I would expect CDNA too look a lot different than the mainstream GPU's of the day. I would hope however that the same code base can be easily compiled to run on either no matter how far they diverge.
    If it helps, I am not talking about having different code or different functionality between datacenter and consumer, just different *releases* and QA coverage.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X