Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Prepares USB-C Linux Driver Support For Radeon Graphics Cards

Phoronix: AMD Prepares USB-C Linux Driver Support For Radeon Graphics Cards

With some Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards sporting a USB-C interface for USB-C monitors or VR headsets, AMD has been working on the open-source Linux driver support for this interface...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x-USB-C-Driver

the end of DVI, DisplayPort and HDMI... usb type c with 40gb/s , RIP DisplayPort...

Comment

Please note this USB-C port will probably support more than just monitors and VR headsets.

I don't know myself, but the patch note does state, "The Latest AMD NAVI GPU card has an integrated Type-C controller ... The client driver is part of the USB Type-C UCSI driver". The Linux UCSI driver exposes all the type-c port capabilities the particular hardware can deal with - xfr speeds, power delivery, etc.

The same port on Nvidia drivers worked with usb flash drives, usb hubs, network dongles, smartphones, headphones, and even adapters to other monitor connections. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...nt-just-for-vr

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
        Please note this USB-C port will probably support more than just monitors and VR headsets.

I don't know myself, but the patch note does state, "The Latest AMD NAVI GPU card has an integrated Type-C controller ... The client driver is part of the USB Type-C UCSI driver". The Linux UCSI driver exposes all the type-c port capabilities the particular hardware can deal with - xfr speeds, power delivery, etc.

The same port on Nvidia drivers worked with usb flash drives, usb hubs, network dongles, smartphones, headphones, and even adapters to other monitor connections. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...nt-just-for-vr
        the end of DVI, DisplayPort and HDMI... usb type c with 40gb/s , RIP DisplayPort...

Comment

Funny how they add it even when Nvidia has already dropped it and never even shipped it in quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
            Great news, I intend to attach a USB floppy drive.

Comment

Oh right Valve dropped the VirtualLink for Index too and the Oculus Quest Link works with pretty much all USB-C ports that come integrated in motherboards these days.

Seems kinda useless with how things are going. Still nice to have I guess.

Comment

How is it with Dockingstations for Notebooks. They have display output over USB-C and PD charge the battery.
                If you now buy a AMD APU Notebook, it would be great...
                Or is it still supported?

Comment

Normally, I think most of the ideas surrounding USB-C are really stupid in the long term, but since it has already been established, I think having a single cable for a VR headset is a great idea. Power, audio, video, and sensor data all delivered through 1 manageable cable. A HDMI cable alone is often thicker than USB-C.
                  I don't really get why Nvidia abandoned the port so quickly, especially seeing as USB-C is basically the new DP form factor.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I don't really get why Nvidia abandoned the port so quickly, especially seeing as USB-C is basically the new DP form factor.
                    My guess would be signal integrity problems over long runs. I have a Valve Index and it has a proprietary "one cable" that carries power from a brick, DP and USB3. From what I can tell it's quite special because it has a detachable part with a weird connector. Said connector gets warm during use which leads me to believe there's an active repeater/amplifier in it.
                    The cable can be detached from the headset and has a plug going into the splitter/amplifier part. Valve apparently wanted to make a VirtualLink one, but it got cancelled over technical issues.
                    Other vendors probably faced similar fate.

Comment

Working...
                    X