AMD Sends In Aldebaran, FreeSync HDMI, Other Graphics Changes For Linux 5.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
    in some ways i kinda wish amd's open drivers where like the way drivers are "normally" on windows. separate from the kernel and can just download the newest ones. always being able to get the bug fixes and new stuff a lot faster. i feel like gpu's are too dynamic with changes and fixes. a lot of those changes and fixes being really important too.
    AMDGPU-PRO use as dynamic kernel module the open source driver. AFAIK, every distro can create the AMDGPU module driver and use it with dkms or simply backport it to they current "stable" kernel (there may be some limitations though).

Comment

Very clear to me now that Aldebaran will be the GPU for Frontier.

Comment

Hdmi 2.1?

Comment

in some ways i kinda wish amd's open drivers where like the way drivers are "normally" on windows. separate from the kernel and can just download the newest ones. always being able to get the bug fixes and new stuff a lot faster. i feel like gpu's are too dynamic with changes and fixes. a lot of those changes and fixes being really important too.
          You can do that, it's a myth that you need it in-kernel.

Comment

That's partly why AMD provides packaged drivers. Others could do something similar using our packages as a baseline. The hard part is that the kernel doesn't provide a stable API so you need to add compatibility code for every kernel you want to support. It's a lot of work. We do that for the packaged drivers (e.g., https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/agd5f...mits/amd-20.50 ), but we only test it on the subset of distros that AMD directly supports. It could be made to work on other distros/kernels, if someone wants to put in the effort.

Comment

Working...
            X