X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sadklown
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

I manually built the drm.ko and radeon.ko from git repo on the r600-r700 branch and installed but I get nothing bridgman has confirmed for me. I had read on the archlinux forum(i think) that the fglrx drivers (if you had previously installed them) can rename some files that can cause problems but I fixed that too. I have also tried the PKGBUILD for drm.ko and radeon.ko drivers but I did not have any luck with that either. The only thing that I can think of now is that perhaps I have installed drm.ko and radeon.ko in the wrong dir for my distro. I used the dir's from the tutroial on the x.org website. Does anybody know if that is the correct dir for ArchLinux.

Again thanks everyone

Leave a comment:

• TechMage89
    replied
    I can confirm that Archlinux has modular drm in its default kernel.

How are you building it? Note that the libdrm PKGBUILD does NOT include the drivers.

You will either have to build the entire 2.6.29 kernel using a PKGBUILD or manually build and copy the drivers into the proper location in the kernel module directory.
    Last edited by TechMage89; 19 March 2009, 11:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    your kernel needs modular drm support (so you can replace the distro drm modules with your own). You might want to check with your distro to make sure drm support isn't compiled into the kernel.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    If you're building drm from the 6xx-7xx branch and installing drm.ko, radeon.ko in the right place, that should be enough.

Right now I didn't see *any* drm messages in your kernel log, which seemed a bit odd.

Leave a comment:

• sadklown
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Yep... I don't see any drm messages in your dmesg output at all. No kernel drm code = no acceleration.

I checked out the drm from git repo following the x.org r600-r700 page and built the drm module. Are you saying that I need a kernel with drm on top of that? When I had fglrx installed I could use acceleration it's just that the performance was terrible or does that work entirely different?

thakns guys

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Yep... I don't see any drm messages in your dmesg output at all. No kernel drm code = no acceleration.

Leave a comment:

• oibaf
    replied
    Can you try current git version?

EDIT: you also need the kernel drm module. See:
    Last edited by oibaf; 18 March 2009, 04:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sadklown
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Can you pastebin your xorg log and dmesg output ?
    here are the links you requested

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

thanks

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Can you pastebin your xorg log and dmesg output ?

Leave a comment:

• sadklown
    started a topic ati 6.12 r700 Need Help Please?

ati 6.12 r700 Need Help Please?

I run Archlinux with 2.6.28 kernel and the new ati 6.12 driver with the required drm upgrades(from drm git repo), but I cannot get the acceleration to work. DRI modules load just fine exa loads but close to the end of Xorg.0.log it says acceleration failed. xvinfo says no adapters found. I have uninstalled fglrx so I know that is not the problem. My video card is a amd/ati 4870. If anyone has any ideas I would very much appreciate it? fglrx preformance is terrible, even with xv it tears and flickers considerbly more than radeon or radeonhd.

thanks

here are my Xorg.0.log and dmesg output

Last edited by sadklown; 17 March 2009, 09:19 PM.
Working...
X