ati 6.12 r700 Need Help Please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sadklown
    started a topic ati 6.12 r700 Need Help Please?

ati 6.12 r700 Need Help Please?

I run Archlinux with 2.6.28 kernel and the new ati 6.12 driver with the required drm upgrades(from drm git repo), but I cannot get the acceleration to work. DRI modules load just fine exa loads but close to the end of Xorg.0.log it says acceleration failed. xvinfo says no adapters found. I have uninstalled fglrx so I know that is not the problem. My video card is a amd/ati 4870. If anyone has any ideas I would very much appreciate it? fglrx preformance is terrible, even with xv it tears and flickers considerbly more than radeon or radeonhd.

thanks

here are my Xorg.0.log and dmesg output

http://pastebin.com/m26470ff8
    http://pastebin.com/m561d18cd
    Last edited by sadklown; 03-17-2009, 09:19 PM.

• sadklown
    replied
    Hey everyone, I switched to Archlinux 64bit and everything works like a charm now. I just wanted to thank everyone for the help(even though it was all for naught).

Perry3d, I used your drm PKGBUILD and it worked perfectly once I switched, thany you very much makes everything so much easier.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I did a search on driver builds failing with init_mm and found a heap of hits, for both NVidia and ATI/AMD, dating back a year or so. Hold on, I'll see if there are any common solutions.

EDIT - bah,.all the threads start by talking about init_mm then wander off topic and fix a completely different problem ;(
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-30-2009, 12:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sadklown
    replied
    The build has not worked with either 2.6.28 or 2.6.29 for me I get the same error for both "unknown symbol init_mm". I recompiled again to watch the output closer and it warns me about "unknown symbol init_mm", but I do not know how to proceed from here. I will try the new AUR package. If I have any thing to report I certainly will.

Thanks gang

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    It worked always with 2.6.28, but not with 2.6.29 - i made a script which fetches git and creates a dkms package - always current then.

Leave a comment:

• Perry3D
    replied
    @sadklown: I updated the "drm-radeon-module-git-r6xx-r7xx" package in AUR. I hope your problem is fixed now. At least with kernel 2.6.28.

Maybe you can give me feedback.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I have seen a couple of problems reported building the 6xx-7xx drm branch against drm against the latest 2.6.29 kernel, just in the last week or so. Maybe some last-minute change in the kernel ?

Anyways, on #radeonhd today one user was able to get past the build problem by locally merging with master, which I guess implies that there's a fix in master which helps. I skimmed the commit list for master and saw some possible candidates but nothing obvious.

Leave a comment:

• sadklown
    replied
    Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    Instead of manually copying these files, why not just do a "make install" followed by a "depmod -a"?
    I tried at your suggestion but I still have the unknown symbol init_mm error

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Instead of manually copying these files, why not just do a "make install" followed by a "depmod -a"?

Leave a comment:

• sadklown
    replied
    I figured out the correct dir for ArchLinux which is
    /lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/ for drm.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/ for radeon.ko
    for which you have to backup the existing ones so you do not overwrite. I have tried to manually run drm.ko and radeon.ko with modprobe and get these errors:
    FATAL: Error inserting drm (/lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    FATAL: Error inserting radeon (/lib/modules/2.6.29-ARCH/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    In the dmesg output I get these errors:
    drm: Unknown symbol init_mm
    drm: Unknown symbol init_mm
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_open
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_fasync
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_poll
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_get_resource_len
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_get_reg_ofs
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_irq_uninstall
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_get_dev
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_ioctl
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_exit
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_getsarea
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_debug
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_ioremapfree
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_get_map_ofs
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_init
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_addmap
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_get_resource_start
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_handle_vblank
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_cleanup_pci
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_ati_pcigart_init
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_vblank_init
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_ioremap_wc
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_mmap
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_order
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_ati_pcigart_cleanup
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_core_reclaim_buffers
    radeon: Unknown symbol drm_release

I also updated my kernel to 2.6.29-ARCH and rebuilt the drm accordingly, here is some updated info:
    dmesg http://pastebin.com/m5785f647
    Xorg.0.log http://pastebin.com/m10234ab6
    xorg.conf http://pastebin.com/m155da63b
    Last edited by sadklown; 03-28-2009, 06:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X