Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software For Linux 20.50 Released With RX 6700 XT Support

Phoronix: Radeon Software For Linux 20.50 Released With RX 6700 XT Support

With the Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics cards having gone up for sale today (albeit in incredibly short supply), AMD published an updated Radeon Software for Linux driver comprising its AMDGPU-PRO and AMDGPU-Open driver stacks with support for this new Navi RDNA2 graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

True with all silicon.

Comment

I see AMD still couldn't be arsed to release Vulkan ray tracing support in their official "PRO" driver. What a joke.

This is literally the flagship feature for your new hardware and it is unusable on Linux in any way right now simply because you cannot be bothered to release it.
        This feature has been on Windows since Day 1 of the spec launch. You already have it implemented, just bloody release it! It's a piss-take to those who bought the cards, honestly.

The next release is what, half a year or so away? I imagine RADV will have support for RT before the "official" AMD drivers will do at that point. :V
        Last edited by JoshuaAshton; 18 March 2021, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post
          I see AMD still couldn't be arsed to release Vulkan ray tracing support in their official "PRO" driver. What a joke.

This is literally the flagship feature for your new hardware and it is unusable on Linux in any way right now simply because you cannot be bothered to release it.
          This feature has been on Windows since Day 1 of the spec launch. You already have it implemented, just bloody release it! It's a piss-take to those who bought the cards, honestly.

The next release is what, half a year or so away? I imagine RADV will have support for RT before the "official" AMD drivers will do at that point. :V
          Is Vulkan RT implemented on Windows or is it currently just DX12 RT? Also, AFAIK, there's currently no games actually using Vulkan RT, so implementing it right now is not super useful, though with the recent work in VKD3D, that will hopefully change soon.

Comment

AMD supports Vulkan RT on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

Yeah, I also thought amdvlk-pro will have RT in this release. (simply because it uses the same proprietary compiler as on Windows, so it's essentially the same driver).
              On the other hand, AMD probably doesn't think that some users simply extract the amdvlk-pro driver from the amdgpu-pro package and use it alongside mesa. I mean, after all, the whole amdgpu-pro package is for workstation users. I think they even said it at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                Yeah, I also thought amdvlk-pro will have RT in this release. (simply because it uses the same proprietary compiler as on Windows, so it's essentially the same driver). On the other hand, AMD probably doesn't think that some users simply extract the amdvlk-pro driver from the amdgpu-pro package and use it alongside mesa. I mean, after all, the whole amdgpu-pro package is for workstation users. I think they even said it at some point.
                Nothing so think-y. Ray tracing support was in the 20.50 branch but it wasn't working properly and needed some more time - but we needed to get 20.50 out ASAP in order to support recent Ubuntu 20.04 updates, specifically the move to 5.8 kernel, so we disabled RT and pushed the release out.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Nothing so think-y. Ray tracing support was in the 20.50 branch but it wasn't working properly and needed some more time - but we needed to get 20.50 out ASAP in order to support recent Ubuntu 20.04 updates, specifically the move to 5.8 kernel, so we disabled RT and pushed the release out.
                  Oh ok.
                  Thanks for clarification

Comment

Blender Cycles OpenCL performance is still bad (multiple times slower on RDNA2) vs. the Windows driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X