AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

In the year 2019B.V. (before virus) I bought a rx570 for 68 bucks on ebay ( just needed a firmware flash and now runs like a champ ), If I only knew what would happen to the world I would have bought all the other 3 cards he had. At the time I was thinking 150 bucks for a rx580 was too expensive. Whoops.
    Yep. Ebay netted me a perfectly working 580 for 128 back then. The problem is, and reviews were saying this too, is that it ran hot. I tweaked the bios to lower the voltages and the thing runs like a champ, no running hot problems at all...it was a pain in the ass setting up the same undervolt every time I installed Linux or Windows or did settings resets, etc so I went the modified bios route.

If I knew then what I know now I'd have stocked up on everything 560 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

Dude shut it... your dual monitors pull probably 80-100watts all by themselves and you are bitching over 15w.... wow you are naive. Talk about not seeing the Forrest for the trees. It's been left unsolved because frankly it isn't that big of a deal. I guess leave it to a computer drama queen to freak out over it though. Also.... most of the time you are using your computer it *isn't* in idle or it'd be really dumb for it to be... it should be asleep comsuming a handful of watts otherwise YOU are to blame for setting up your PC badly. Need to run a torrent or something... do it from your NAS not your PC.

Also... 320kWh is only $30 of electricity in most of USA, spread over your 10 years thats, $3 a year -_- idiot.
      My 580 on a single monitor has to be kept in a higher power state as well. If not, and this is Windows and Linux mind you, I'll get graphical corruption, a 2-3 pixel stripe, on the upper right corner of my screen. I had the exact same problem with my previous R7 260x, RADEON and AMDGPU, Linux and Windows.

The AMD driver does have a power issue, it isn't just Linux, and it effects pretty much all of their GPUs. If you have an AMD GPU and don't have this problem then consider yourself lucky.

The excess power doesn't bother me as much as the excess heat does. It's all I can do to keep my house cool once summer kicks into high gear.

Comment

Checkout Newegg’s popular product drawing queue. Enter your product of choice, submit your email, and wait to see if you win! All customers who win will be given the chance to purchase highly popular products.

These are on the newegg shuffle today. I prefer NVidia cards and I'm wondering if I'll be disappointed with the driver support for this card or not? I've had bad experiences in the past with AMD GPU drivers but it has been probably 5 years since I've used one.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

My 580 on a single monitor has to be kept in a higher power state as well. If not, and this is Windows and Linux mind you, I'll get graphical corruption, a 2-3 pixel stripe, on the upper right corner of my screen. I had the exact same problem with my previous R7 260x, RADEON and AMDGPU, Linux and Windows.

The AMD driver does have a power issue, it isn't just Linux, and it effects pretty much all of their GPUs. If you have an AMD GPU and don't have this problem then consider yourself lucky.

The excess power doesn't bother me as much as the excess heat does. It's all I can do to keep my house cool once summer kicks into high gear.
          If 15 watts is causing you to sweat in the summer maybe you should invest in a better AC. Or perhaps it literally isn't making any significant difference.... because pretty much the cheapest window unit you can buy can move a *lot* more heat than that.

Comment

Yep. Ebay netted me a perfectly working 580 for 128 back then. The problem is, and reviews were saying this too, is that it ran hot. I tweaked the bios to lower the voltages and the thing runs like a champ, no running hot problems at all...it was a pain in the ass setting up the same undervolt every time I installed Linux or Windows or did settings resets, etc so I went the modified bios route.

If I knew then what I know now I'd have stocked up on everything 560 and up.
            I'm with you on this, the Polaris cards are rock solid stable, run cool and quiet with a mild undervolt, "just work" on Linux, and perform nicely at 1080p.

Vega had similar characteristics, I had a Vega56 after selling my Rx 480. There was a guide I followed that showed how to tweak the voltage and clock settings on a Vega56, reducing them slightly, which delivered 95% of stock performance, with a 100w reduction in power consumption. 100 watts!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              I'm with you on this, the Polaris cards are rock solid stable, run cool and quiet with a mild undervolt, "just work" on Linux, and perform nicely at 1080p.
              I wonder why AMD couldn't have built that into the cards ("Quiet Performance" mode with 95% performance?) If what you say is true, then Polaris are ideal cards for light/moderate gaming. The only drawback is lack of AV1 hardware decode. Thanks for info. I feel better about recommending Polaris now. I wasn't impressed with the power draw compared to, say, a GT1030.

Comment

It'd be cool to compare these cards power-normalized to 25W and/or 100W

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

If 15 watts is causing you to sweat in the summer maybe you should invest in a better AC. Or perhaps it literally isn't making any significant difference.... because pretty much the cheapest window unit you can buy can move a *lot* more heat than that.
                  My room is on the west side of the house. Summertime between 4-9pm my room is covered in sunlight in temps between 90-110F, like 43-50C. I have both a window unit and central air. During that time of the year removing anything that causes any excess heat is a good thing.

What I need is my neighbor's house replaced with a shade tree and better insulation.

Comment

My room is on the west side of the house. Summertime between 4-9pm my room is covered in sunlight in temps between 90-110F, like 43-50C. I have both a window unit and central air. During that time of the year removing anything that causes any excess heat is a good thing.

What I need is my neighbor's house replaced with a shade tree and better insulation.
                    What you need is window blinds, that's hundreds of watts' difference and not 15.

Comment

Y'all talking about power, But let's be honest I have it and I can't even use it because of missing drivers.

Anyone know how to "Extract blobs" and what "proprietary driver" the author are referring to?

Comment

Working...
                      X