No announcement yet.

RADV Lands Another Navi Optimization In Mesa 21.1 To Help With MSAA Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Lands Another Navi Optimization In Mesa 21.1 To Help With MSAA Performance

Phoronix: RADV Lands Another Navi Optimization In Mesa 21.1 To Help With MSAA Performance

The developers working on the RADV open-source Radeon Vulkan driver for Mesa are relentless in their quest for delivering optimal performance. Hitting Mesa 21.1 today were another set of patches for enhancing the MSAA anti-aliasing performance for GFX10 (Navi 1x / Navi 2x) graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

enhancing the MSAA anti-aliasing performance
    Isn't that like ATM machine?

Comment

So is RADV faster or is AMDVLK faster?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        So is RADV faster or is AMDVLK faster?
        While it varies, in my experiences it's usually RADV.

Sometimes, though, RADV will be faster in regards to higher FPS but AMDVLK will have better frame times and a higher minimum and average FPS. That was my experience when benchmarking and playing Hitman 2 last year.

Comment

When there's shader compile stutter with amdvlk-open, you think your PC is dying.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            When there's shader compile stutter with amdvlk-open, you think your PC is dying.
            Yeah, don't know why, but from my testing, it feels noticeably slower even than LLVM that mesa uses. Apart from a few games like Hitman 2, amdvlk-pro usually gives slightly higher fps and its proprietary compiler is much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Maybe because you need enable shader cache in variables?

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                Maybe because you need enable shader cache in variables?
                That's not needed anymore, it's gotten enabled by default.
                My gut feeling about compile times is like this:
                ACO: 1x
                amdvlk-pro: 2-3x
                amdvlk-open: 10-?x
                You could also measure the time for some games compiling shaders ahead. Though with games like Horizon Zero Dawn, you probably shouldn't schedule any appointments for the same day when testing amdvlk-open.
                I wish I were joking, but I'm just slightly overexaggerating at most...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Isn't that like ATM machine?
                  With better MSAA anti-aliasing performance, your RPG games can now run much faster and you'll be able to perform much more APM per minute

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

With better MSAA anti-aliasing performance, your RPG games can now run much faster and you'll be able to perform much more APM per minute
                    Let me tell you about my 3.7 kdr ratio

I just thought of a good bumper sticker:

My kid has a higher KDR than your honor roll student's GPA.

Comment

Working...
                    X