X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    Rocm is important for datacenter applications, but for the home market is has almost zero usability,
    Clover there is what we need..

Even Nvidia is releasing OpenCL3.0 on pcie>=1.1,
    Well, OpenCL3. The big question is if they support any optional features of OpenCL3. Otherwise: no news here. Just good ol' OpenCL 1.2 with a new name.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Sure, but in the meantime it doesn't work with recent cards, it's not packaged in any distro and what most end users care about is still OpenCL apps, like darktable.
    Those are supported TODAY by the ROCm based OpenCL driver shipped with amdgpu-pro.
    This one is packaged by AMD for at least Ubuntu and Debian, you can get it on Arch as well.

It is, however, true that ROCm should be shipped with the distributions. They say they are working on it.

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied
    To be able to download a package and have openCL support in distro of choice would be nice, 6800xt is of no use in things like F@H atm moment. Having said that neither is my VII with rocm using manjaro.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied

Sure, but in the meantime it doesn't work with recent cards, it's not packaged in any distro and what most end users care about is still OpenCL apps, like darktable.
    ROCm would be important if AMD would decide to focus a little bit more on the consumer market, otherwise it's completely useless in its current state.
    You point out some painful shortcomings of ROCm today, I hope AMD has a plan how to tackle these and has a solution for both HPC and consumer compute tasks for both RDNA and CDNA (plus Xilinx FPGAs going forward) for Windows and Linux alike. As ROCm was very GCN- and Linux-centric from the beginning, I cannot tell if it is the best solution. Intel's oneAPI seems to tackle this more elegantly.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by kbios View Post

Rocm is extremely important, as it allows easy porting of cuda applications which is the de facto standard for gpgpu. Hip is the future, opencl is annoying to work with
    ROCm would be important if AMD would decide to focus a little bit more on the consumer market, otherwise it's completely useless in its current state.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Rocm is important for datacenter applications, but for the home market is has almost zero usability,
    Clover there is what we need..

Even Nvidia is releasing OpenCL3.0 on pcie>=1.1,
    While to run Rocm you need pcie3.0 with cpie atomic operations supported by motherboard/cpu

Clover is the way for the home market..

Leave a comment:

• kbios
    replied
    ROCm is a joke, I hope clover gets some traction.
    Rocm is extremely important, as it allows easy porting of cuda applications which is the de facto standard for gpgpu. Hip is the future, opencl is annoying to work with

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    ROCm is a joke, I hope clover gets some traction.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    The main source of the confusion was, that multiple teams are working on ROCm - a GUI stuff team and the server/compute team. The git repo which closed issues was from the compute team, it would seem. This is their mainline. The GUI team, which tests blender and Co, works with internal forks.

Leave a comment:

• Laughing1
    replied
    Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
    Good, it is strange to think about the Threadripper Pro marketing talking about creators/rendering and they can't use Big Navi to render in Blender
    It is getting closer:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Leave a comment:

Working...
X