Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Clarifies ROCm Compute Support For GUI Applications

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Clarifies ROCm Compute Support For GUI Applications

    Phoronix: AMD Clarifies ROCm Compute Support For GUI Applications

    AMD recently added a notice to the ROCm repository reinforcing their focus on headless, non-GUI workloads while now that statement is being sort of retracted and they have clarified their support intentions around this open-source Radeon Open eCosystem driver stack...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...pport-GUI-Apps

  • #2
    Good, it is strange to think about the Threadripper Pro marketing talking about creators/rendering and they can't use Big Navi to render in Blender

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
      Good, it is strange to think about the Threadripper Pro marketing talking about creators/rendering and they can't use Big Navi to render in Blender
      It is getting closer:
      https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...CL-3.0-In-Mesa

      Comment


      • #4
        The main source of the confusion was, that multiple teams are working on ROCm - a GUI stuff team and the server/compute team. The git repo which closed issues was from the compute team, it would seem. This is their mainline. The GUI team, which tests blender and Co, works with internal forks.

        Comment


        • #5
          ROCm is a joke, I hope clover gets some traction.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            ROCm is a joke, I hope clover gets some traction.
            Rocm is extremely important, as it allows easy porting of cuda applications which is the de facto standard for gpgpu. Hip is the future, opencl is annoying to work with

            Comment


            • #7
              Rocm is important for datacenter applications, but for the home market is has almost zero usability,
              Clover there is what we need..

              Even Nvidia is releasing OpenCL3.0 on pcie>=1.1,
              While to run Rocm you need pcie3.0 with cpie atomic operations supported by motherboard/cpu

              Clover is the way for the home market..

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kbios View Post

                Rocm is extremely important, as it allows easy porting of cuda applications which is the de facto standard for gpgpu. Hip is the future, opencl is annoying to work with
                Sure, but in the meantime it doesn't work with recent cards, it's not packaged in any distro and what most end users care about is still OpenCL apps, like darktable.
                ROCm would be important if AMD would decide to focus a little bit more on the consumer market, otherwise it's completely useless in its current state.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

                  Sure, but in the meantime it doesn't work with recent cards, it's not packaged in any distro and what most end users care about is still OpenCL apps, like darktable.
                  ROCm would be important if AMD would decide to focus a little bit more on the consumer market, otherwise it's completely useless in its current state.
                  You point out some painful shortcomings of ROCm today, I hope AMD has a plan how to tackle these and has a solution for both HPC and consumer compute tasks for both RDNA and CDNA (plus Xilinx FPGAs going forward) for Windows and Linux alike. As ROCm was very GCN- and Linux-centric from the beginning, I cannot tell if it is the best solution. Intel's oneAPI seems to tackle this more elegantly.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    To be able to download a package and have openCL support in distro of choice would be nice, 6800xt is of no use in things like [email protected] atm moment. Having said that neither is my VII with rocm using manjaro.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X