Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon RX 6800 Series Seeing Some Small Gains With Linux 5.12

Phoronix: Radeon RX 6800 Series Seeing Some Small Gains With Linux 5.12

When it comes to the AMDGPU kernel driver changes in Linux 5.12 for modern open-source AMD Radeon graphics, most notable is RDNA2 OverDrive overclocking support now being available as well as AMDGPU FreeSync over HDMI (pre-HDMI 2.1). But from initial testing the new in-development kernel is showing mostly subtle performance improvements for the Radeon RX 6800 series over Linux 5.11.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These tests all look CPU-bound judging by resolution and quality settings. Any gains in GPU-bound workloads?

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
      These tests all look CPU-bound judging by resolution and quality settings. Any gains in GPU-bound workloads?
      Nope, omitted all the identical results from Unigine and the more demanding test cases where no change at all.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

freeSync over hdmi is great and all, but I hope they improve freesync over displayport.. i enabled freesync with my hp omen 27i, but i haven't gotten it to work at all in any of the few games i've tested. on windows 10 it works out of the box wonderfully. an amazing experience really. i also wish freesync was as simple to enable and disable like it is on windows. a single click of a button.

its unfortunate as it seems like freesync works better on nvidia on linux than it does on amd...
        Last edited by fafreeman; 05 March 2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

While the HD 6800 series is still unfinished. Imagine when the RX 6800 series is gonna be finished then. In 2050 maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
            its unfortunate as it seems like freesync works better on nvidia on linux than it does on amd...
            I hate to tell you, but this is your very personal issue. Others might come to a diametrical conclusion.

Comment

freeSync over hdmi is great and all, but I hope they improve freesync over displayport.. i enabled freesync with my hp omen 27i, but i haven't gotten it to work at all in any of the few games i've tested. on windows 10 it works out of the box wonderfully. an amazing experience really. i also wish freesync was as simple to enable and disable like it is on windows. a single click of a button.

Are you sure that it is enabled and working correctly? The method mentioned in the first forum post for Tumbleweed (which is identical with a lot of other distros) should do the job (albeit it didn't for the user at that time): https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...Sync-To-Enable

I also find that somewhat problematic from a usability standpoint as you need to fiddle with these conf files. Such a feature should work out of the box.
              Last edited by ms178; 05 March 2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I own an Omen by HP FreeSync monitor which I use on Linux with a 5700 XT connected via DisplayPort.

I have FreeSync enabled:
                Code:
                /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amd.conf                  119/119               100%

Section "Device"                                                             
                Identifier "amdgpu"                                                          
                Driver "amdgpu"                                                              
                Option "TearFree" "on"                                                       
                Option "VariableRefresh" "true"                                              
                EndSection
                You can check to see if it gets enabled:
                Code:
                xrandr --props

vrr_capable: 1  
                range: (0, 1)

I haven't seen any issues at all - just works. One thing I noticed is that these Omen monitors only support FreeSync at 'native resolution', so in my case it only works at 1080p. If you have to game at a different mode, maybe try in a window or Scaled to native resolution.

Comment

Freesync works for me on my 6800XT with this 4k 40" monitor but if I turn off the monitor or go into power saving mode and recover, it leaves a permanent tear on the bottom 1/4 of the screen which can only be fixed by flicking down to 30hz and back up to 60hz (sometimes two attempts needed).

It's an annoying freesync bug (doesn't happen if fs is turned off) that is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon as I think its unique to 4k and 60hz.. (which almost nobody runs at).

Comment

any ideas why on 5700 XT has a slightly regression with 5.12? ...almost below the errormargin but noticible in all benchs.

Comment

Working...
                    X