No announcement yet.

VCN-Less Navi 12 SKU, RX 6000 Series BACO Runtime PM Are Extras For Linux 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VCN-Less Navi 12 SKU, RX 6000 Series BACO Runtime PM Are Extras For Linux 5.12

Phoronix: VCN-Less Navi 12 SKU, RX 6000 Series BACO Runtime PM Are Extras For Linux 5.12

A set of "fixes" to the AMDGPU kernel driver were mailed out today that include a few notable changes for some post merge window alterations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is RDNA1 any good at blockchain workloads? Also which compute stack would miners use there as I thought that ROCm support for RDNA1 was poor? Probably a CDNA-based mining product would be better suited architecturally?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      Is RDNA1 any good at blockchain workloads? Also which compute stack would miners use there as I thought that ROCm support for RDNA1 was poor? Probably a CDNA-based mining product would be better suited architecturally?
      ROCm support is poor for ALL Radeon platforms except for certain late stage GCN parts ( Polaris and Vega ) and CDNA. RDNA1 and 2 cards and Zen APU's have poor to no support. Even if some do, you can be screwed by your PC manufacturer who might have decided to scrimp on BIOS versions that don't fully support IOMMU v2 or greater and / or have utterly broke CRAT tables like most if not all HP computers.... ( I know, I have an HP desktop with a Bristol Ridge APU that while supposedly has full HSA support, still in the ROCm docs it says that HIP is not supported in that APU nor Carrizo, which are a supersets of Kaveri, AND it is attached to a shitty HP motherboard with fully broken CRAT tables as most if not all HP's have going back 15+ years )

In short, if you want full support for ROCm then it's CDNA only as of now. AND that's if you are willing to take the time to go through the hoops of downloading and properly setting up ROCm on the proper version of Red Hat or Ubuntu AND the proper Linux Kernel AND on a motherboard with proper support for IOMMUv2 AND full, proper CRAT tables. AND good luck getting a loan to build out that rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        ROCm support is poor for ALL Radeon platforms except for certain late stage GCN parts ( Polaris and Vega ) and CDNA. RDNA1 and 2 cards and Zen APU's have poor to no support. Even if some do, you can be screwed by your PC manufacturer who might have decided to scrimp on BIOS versions that don't fully support IOMMU v2 or greater and / or have utterly broke CRAT tables like most if not all HP computers.... ( I know, I have an HP desktop with a Bristol Ridge APU that while supposedly has full HSA support, still in the ROCm docs it says that HIP is not supported in that APU nor Carrizo, which are a supersets of Kaveri, AND it is attached to a shitty HP motherboard with fully broken CRAT tables as most if not all HP's have going back 15+ years )
        In short, if you want full support for ROCm then it's CDNA only as of now. AND that's if you are willing to take the time to go through the hoops of downloading and properly setting up ROCm on the proper version of Red Hat or Ubuntu AND the proper Linux Kernel AND on a motherboard with proper support for IOMMUv2 AND full, proper CRAT tables. AND good luck getting a loan to build out that rig.
        yes you paint it black. but if someone really want it he can buy the right hardware.

2043€ AMD Radeon Pro VII, 16GB
        ✔ Preisvergleich für AMD Radeon Pro VII ✔ Produktinfo ⇒ Anschlüsse: 6x Mini DisplayPort 1.4 • Grafik: AMD Radeon Pro VII - 16GB HBM2 - Desktop • Chip: Vega 20 GL… ✔ PCIe ✔ Testberichte ✔ Günstig kaufen

1611€ AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100, 16GB
        ✔ Preisvergleich für AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 ✔ Produktinfo ⇒ Anschlüsse: 6x Mini DisplayPort 1.4 • Grafik: AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 - 16GB HBM2 - Desktop • Chip: Vega 1… ✔ PCIe ✔ Testberichte ✔ Günstig kaufen

933€ AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Liquid, 16GB

AMD MI50
        AMD MI100 (13000€)

the cheapest with good support is VEGA64 with 8GB vram you can buy it on ebay for 220-250€

if you need ROCm support do not buy AMD FuryX or RX5700 or 6800/6900XT

some say RX580/590 also have good support but compared to the vega64 option it is slow.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

yes you paint it black. but if someone really want it he can buy the right hardware.

AMD MI50
          AMD MI100 (13000€)

the cheapest with good support is VEGA64 with 8GB vram you can buy it on ebay for 220-250€

if you need ROCm support do not buy AMD FuryX or RX5700 or 6800/6900XT

some say RX580/590 also have good support but compared to the vega64 option it is slow.

https://geizhals.de/amd-radeon-pro-v...loc=at&hloc=de

https://geizhals.de/amd-radeon-pro-w...loc=at&hloc=de

https://geizhals.de/amd-radeon-vega-...loc=at&hloc=de

And THAT's before you buy your CPU, RAM, SSDs, Fans, Power supplies, and Case. As I also said above.....good luck getting a loan for that rig.

Comment

Those cards are not for you. ROCm is not for you. Its for enterprise who will pay for support for cards in their servers. They will also write own software for actual cards.

OpenCL should work on most recent cards either via ROCm or AMDGPU-PRO. Dont relay on HIP support in future on any consumer card.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

Nah, I am not interested in mining but was just curious about ROCm support for RDNA in general. Thanks for sharing that info, as I am on Vega 56 right now, I know of some of the pains to get ROCm working but I wasn't sure of the situation on RDNA1 as Mr. Bridgman said that some parts might work unofficially. But then I do question the merits of such a blockchain card or am I missing something? In other threads I was very vocal about the split of their architectures and the implications on GPGPU tasks, as I would prefer the middle ground as taken with Vega. But with the current pricing and strategy decisions made by AMD, I might take a closer look on Intel's and Nvidia's offerings in the future. I have gone through too much hassle with AM4 and Vega on the hardware and software side than I would have hoped for, but I could be won back if price to performance was right and if the quality of their new products are becoming better.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                In other threads I was very vocal about the split of their architectures and the implications on GPGPU tasks, as I would prefer the middle ground as taken with Vega. ... I could be won back if price to performance was right and if the quality of their new products are becoming better.
                I hope AMD adds Matrix Cores to RDNA3, like what Nvidia did with Tensor cores. Those were introduced in the V100 (Volta, server-oriented GPU) and trickled down to their upper-end Turing-based gaming cards.

I'm not very hopeful, however. If AMD can do up-scaling well enough without neural networks, then it's not really clear what games would use them for. And without any strong use case, AMD probably won't want to devote the silicon for them, in gaming GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  I hope AMD adds Matrix Cores to RDNA3, like what Nvidia did with Tensor cores. Those were introduced in the V100 (Volta, server-oriented GPU) and trickled down to their upper-end Turing-based gaming cards.

I'm not very hopeful, however. If AMD can do up-scaling well enough without neural networks, then it's not really clear what games would use them for. And without any strong use case, AMD probably won't want to devote the silicon for them, in gaming GPUs.
                  You might find that AMD patent insightful then: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...hine_learning/

Does it cover what you had in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    yes would be nice.... but if not... what is your problem with a RDNA+CDNA chiplet hybrid design ?

because you really sound like someone who really would buy such a hybrid chiplet design card.
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X