OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance For Portal 2 With Radeon Linux Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance For Portal 2 With Radeon Linux Graphics

Phoronix: OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance For Portal 2 With Radeon Linux Graphics

With Valve's Portal 2 having added a Vulkan renderer by way of DXVK for converting Direct3D calls to Vulkan, here are some initial benchmarks with several different AMD Radeon graphics cards for seeing the performance of this nearly decade old game on Linux with the existing OpenGL rendering path compared to that of the new Vulkan rendering option.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While most users with a high end video card won't see a ton of benefit from this I imagine users on Intel graphics or using an APU probably will. Either way good to see more games see a Vulkan option.

Comment

How much faster is pure vulkan over this dxvk translation?

Comment

Does this use Joshua's dxvk native implementation?

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
          Does this use Joshua's dxvk native implementation?
          Yes,it does

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

Yes,it does
            Sick. Are there many games making use of the library?

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
              How much faster is pure vulkan over this dxvk translation?
              Just a speculation as native Vulkan port would have to exist and some more details on DXVK integration in source engine would have to be provided.
              If that "native" means game compiled-in against DXVK, then answer comes down to difference of native Valkan vs native Direct3D 9.0c on Windows and is in general very game engine specific.
              DXVK - when compiled-in with game engine (as opposed to running as LDPRELOAD-style .so wrapper - like wine does) should provide virtually zero overhead itself as compiler can inline a lot of "DX9" API calls. But if this translation is provided at runtime, margin may be ever so slightly bigger.

Comment

Joshua confirmed that next week's Portal 2 update will upgrade to the latest DXVK-Native v1.8 too.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
                  While most users with a high end video card won't see a ton of benefit from this I imagine users on Intel graphics or using an APU probably will. Either way good to see more games see a Vulkan option.
                  I was thinking about the same thing and that's the reason I don't play games on my laptop.
                  But knowing that Portal 2 is not a resource intensive game and now with Vulkan it should be even more efficient, I'm thinking to try it one day to see how well it works.

Comment

That 6.92Ghz Ryzen really kicks ass...

Comment

Working...
                    X