No announcement yet.

OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance For Portal 2 With Radeon Linux Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm seeing a few things with this article.
    • GPU's are behind CPU's by a considerable margin. Even low range CPU's seem to be maxing out a 3090 RTX in some games at high graphics settings. This also seems to be the case with AMD cards.
    • Vulkan seems to give big improvements with newer cards. Since newer cards are less of a bottleneck in the first place.
    • Games that take advantage of Vulkan sooner, will have greater longevity. Especially when GPU's become less of a bottleneck.
    Now if AMD better supports Vulkan in the long run, they may well have a clear advantage over Nvidia in future. It seems that the faster GPU's get, the more OpenGL bottlenecks the graphics pipeline. I could be wrong. Either way, it would be foolish not to take advantage of this amazing technology sooner than later.

Comment

Seeing this and similar benchmarks makes me wonder why Valheim runs much better on OpenGL than Vulkan. Vulkan should be a lot faster in theory.

Comment

That's interesting. I tried -vulkan flag in 1080p on a Pentium G4560 + GTX 1650 Super + all settings at the maximum (except AA, which was set to 2x) and vsync off. Here's the result:
        Code:
        OpenGL: 265 FPS
        Vulkan: 135 FPS
        I used this demo in timedemo mode.

Any ideas about what happened?
        Last edited by fulalas; 03 March 2021, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks Michael for the Portal 2 benchmark , using the PTS3 demo file.
          FYI: I had to download and move the file manually.
          as my actual result was : Portal 2 is launched, and shows a screen with GLaDOS defeated. This screen stays for an unlimited time.
          The expected result is the demo automatically played , on one of the first levels of the game. this lasts around 3-4 minutes.

I have nailed the issue down thanks to :
          phoronix-test-suite debug-install pts/portal2
          giving:
          [2021-05-07 16:53:58] Verifying installation...
          [2021-05-07 16:53:58] Verification complete
          [2021-05-07 16:54:20] Shutdown
          unzip: cannot find or open portal2-demo-pts3.zip, portal2-demo-pts3.zip.zip or portal2-demo-pts3.zip.ZIP.
          mv: cannot stat 'pts3.dem': No such file or directory
          Cheers all

Comment

Working...
          X