No announcement yet.

OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance For Portal 2 With Radeon Linux Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's weird at higher resolutions Vulkan falls off..

I tried DotA2 both OpenGL and Vulkan, Vulkan is slightly better

RX5700-XT @ 1440p

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
      That's weird at higher resolutions Vulkan falls off..
      I think that makes sense - Vulkan doesn't necessarily give faster rendering when GPU-limited, but it can reduce CPU overhead and make better use of more threads/cores.

Once you get GPU-limited though, the API doesn't make as much difference.
      Last edited by bridgman; 21 February 2021, 10:28 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to try what it's like to play Portal 2 on an old PhII X4 955 BE w/a HD 5770 card on OpenGL @1080p.

I've (somewhat belatedly) learned that setting the CPU governor to performance helps the AMD OpenGL drivers *massively* in terms of frame rate.

Would be sweet if I could turn up the details and still run at a solid 60+ fps. Portal 2 deserves to be enjoyed on period(-ish)-correct hardware I think.

Comment

It seems to me that all the OpenGL benchmarks tops off at around 600FPS, which looks like a software limitation or something (bridgman probably explained the limitations a few replies before this one), as when the hardware is pushed hard enough to drop below 600FPS, both OpenGL and and DXVK mostly has around the same FPS.

EDIT: I just saw the news about Zink.
          I wonder then if Zink would be able to outperform DXVK, or match it all the way, or if the game itself is somehow limited to 600FPS, when using OpenGL.
          Last edited by mbrf; 20 February 2021, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I think that makes sense - Vulkan doesn't necessarily give faster rendering, but it can reduce CPU overhead and make better use of more threads/cores.

Once you get GPU-limited though, the API doesn't make as much difference.
            If anything, this benchmark is good at showing which hardware will limit you at which resolution.

Comment

Lots of people over on the windows echo-system are calling vulkan dead as a door-nail because of this.

And no they don't know that its DXVK and are comparing it to DX11 which it translates from and see a %10-20 reduction in performance for vulkan, thus claim its a dead api...

I do try to explain whats going on but you know how yt comments are, just a dark void everyone screams into most the time..

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Lots of people over on the windows echo-system are calling vulkan dead as a door-nail because of this.

And no they don't know that its DXVK and are comparing it to DX11 which it translates from and see a %10-20 reduction in performance for vulkan, thus claim its a dead api...

I do try to explain whats going on but you know how yt comments are, just a dark void everyone screams into most the time..
                Lol, just let them be. Ignorance is bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
                  While most users with a high end video card won't see a ton of benefit from this I imagine users on Intel graphics or using an APU probably will.
                  Integrated graphics setups are generally GPU limited, but as these numbers confirm once again, Vulkan mostly makes a difference in CPU limited scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

Sick. Are there many games making use of the library?
                    All the Metro games on Stadia and the upcoming Metro Exodus on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                      Almost a thousand frames per second in some cases. Pretty sick. Try libstrangle, or v-sync
                      Source games have a `fps_max` console command you can use to limit the frame rate, so you don't need libstrangle for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X