Radeon "GFX90A" Added To LLVM As Next-Gen CDNA With Full-Rate FP64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    then it is true that you get more and more GB of ram for less and less money.
    Yes, that's a nice benefit. FWIW, over the life of my PCs (usually 5-10 years), I tend to upgrade storage, GPU, and RAM once. And for RAM, I typically double the original capacity.

I am not arguing against OpenCAPI, in general. I just do not foresee it coming to the desktop. I guess we'll just wait and see if I'm right.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Yes, that's a nice benefit. FWIW, over the life of my PCs (usually 5-10 years), I tend to upgrade storage, GPU, and RAM once. And for RAM, I typically double the original capacity.
      I am not arguing against OpenCAPI, in general. I just do not foresee it coming to the desktop. I guess we'll just wait and see if I'm right.
      i had thoughts about this and i discovered a usercase what save you a lot of money in the long run.
      for example if your old pc has ddr4 and your new pc has ddr5 you need new ram this means 500-800€ for like 128gb...

now imagine if your old system is OpenCAPI and the new one is also openCAPI

then you can just use the old ram for the new system. an later if the ram prices go down you can upgrade it.

this saves you a lot of money.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        i had thoughts about this and i discovered a usercase what save you a lot of money in the long run.
        for example if your old pc has ddr4 and your new pc has ddr5 you need new ram this means 500-800€ for like 128gb...
        That sounds like a workstation use case, though. I have just 16 GBs in my PCs and it's plenty. At work, we use 32 GB and I never see it fully-utilized.

For someone who needs lots and lots of memory, like server users or maybe even Threadripper Pro, I already agree that a more scalable memory system makes sense. Indeed, that's who they designed it for.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          That sounds like a workstation use case, though. I have just 16 GBs in my PCs and it's plenty. At work, we use 32 GB and I never see it fully-utilized.
          For someone who needs lots and lots of memory, like server users or maybe even Threadripper Pro, I already agree that a more scalable memory system makes sense. Indeed, that's who they designed it for.
          not only threadripper pro ... i do have a threadripper 1920X and i do have 128gb ECC ram.- it is 700€
          if i switch to a DDR5 system i have to buy it again but with openCAPI i could use my old ram in my new system
          and i think to save 700€ on a system upgrade it is a huge impact.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
          X