AMDGPU FreeSync Video Mode Optimization Updated But Too Late For Linux 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU FreeSync Video Mode Optimization Updated But Too Late For Linux 5.12

Phoronix: AMDGPU FreeSync Video Mode Optimization Updated But Too Late For Linux 5.12

Going back to last year there has been work by AMD engineers on an experimental FreeSync video mode optimization to avoid screen blanking around full-screen video playback. Basically avoiding an entire mode-set when changing the timing mode during video playback to bypass any screen flickering/blanking. That work has now been updated to its sixth spin while it's being viewed as a temporary measure until a better solution can be devised...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A decent user interface is definitely a good idea and solution for just a thing. Its time for Linux a Radeon control panel. One thats a lot better than NVIDIA's.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
      A decent user interface is definitely a good idea and solution for just a thing. Its time for Linux a Radeon control panel. One thats a lot better than NVIDIA's.
      Maybe it's just me but the Radeon control panel on Windows is way too heavyweight, it's like launching 3 browsers. And probably buggy because it behaves weirdly too.
      (Don't know about Nvidia).

Comment

cl333r Nvidia's is relatively lightweight in Linux. Of coarse I would hope for a better one than on windows with Radeon. I no longer use windows anymore, while I have windows 10 if you did a full install with the geforce experience it was pretty nasty clunky as well.

Linux just needs a lightweight toggle and value entering gui at the very minimum. While Nvidia's is fairly comprehensive for linux users, it seriously does need to be updated.

I should probably have win10 installed, it's just that that space is occupied by too many games installed for Linux, close to 2TB spanned over 5 SSDs. I am starting to wonder if I should be embarassed by my steam library.
        Last edited by creative; 14 February 2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I don't even bother with FS anymore under Linux.. Too many issues, very poor compatibility with window/fs apps and dual monitor.. the list of issues is endless when compared to how it runs on Windows.

Comment

theriddick Well I will know soon enough when I get an RDNA GPU within the next few years. I just about had a Red Devil 5700 XT, but halted the order soon as the rona broke out.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
              why don't you write one if you need it?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                why don't you write one if you need it?
                Was more of idea, not much of a coder myself, I can edit some though. Would like to learn some coding. Most of my mental focus goes into reading physical books and am currently working on writting one of those myself.

My creative efforts are focused in other areas.

Am I thankful for nvidia-settings? Yes. Could it be better, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  I don't even bother with FS anymore under Linux.. Too many issues, very poor compatibility with window/fs apps and dual monitor.. the list of issues is endless when compared to how it runs on Windows.
                  I haven't seen it fail in a while in any game with single display connected. It's simply "when vsync works (page flipping), also FS works", which works flawlessly for me.

Comment

Luckily, with mpv's frame interpolation option, one doesn't need to change the video mode of the display for smooth video playback!
                    Even 25 FPS video on a 60 Hz monitor plays back astoundingly well with the right setting...

Comment

Working...
                    X