Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV+ACO Look To Your Help For Improving The Vulkan Driver & Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Termy View Post
    One thing i'm always hesitant to report are non-reproducible crashes (for example i still get the occasional system-freeze, but i'm still unsure if thats the last bit of RAM-OC-instability, a faulty GPU-Hardware or indeed a driver-induced GPU-Hang). Would something like that be a potential useful report, even with just the journalctl from the last boot? (or are there better persistent logs for GPU related issues?)
    Please try to rule out OC instability first. You can try to run memtest to see if your RAM is stable. And simply disable any CPU overclock and see if you still experience issues then.

If this freeze happens during gaming, when you run something on RADV, then it's possible that it's our fault.

If it's independent of games and happens all the time, then it can be either a hardware defect as you noted, or a kernel power management issue. In that case, you can report this to the kernel folks. But either way, please rule out any OC as a possible root cause.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
      Thanks for all of the great work, RADV devs! I've used it to play Warhammer 2 native port, and Skyrim through DXVK. Haven't faced any big problems so far.

​​​​​​I was wondering, how do you test compiled Mesa libraries without replacing the system libraries? I don't want to install an unstable Mesa and use that for my window manager, browser etc. but I'd like to be able to compile an in-development version and easily test some application on top of it.​​​​​
      Replacing the system libraries is usually not necessary. For RADV, you can configure Meson to install Mesa to any random directory(with -Dprefix=<directory>) and then set the VK_ICD_FILENAMES environment variable to the absolute path of the new radeon_icd.x86_64.json. This doesn't (or used to not) work with Proton 5.13, so it's probably good to try checking with DXVK_HUD=devinfo

For OpenGL, you set LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH to the new lib64/dri directory: https://gist.github.com/Venemo/a9483...c67a411191edbd

If you are replacing the system libraries, you can configure Meson to only build RADV with these configuration options: "-Dvulkan-drivers=amd -Dgallium-drivers= -Ddri-drivers= -Dopengl=false -Dgles1=disabled -Dgles2=disabled -Degl=disabled". That should reduce the chances of breaking something

Comment

Maybe hosting the project on github would bring more users to report (and commit)

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
          Maybe hosting the project on github would bring more users to report (and commit)
          Why do you think that?

Comment

Because lots of people won't bother nowadays looking further than GitHub. It's where they have their little habit and confort, and won't bother learning /using/subscribing to an other plateform.

Comment

Because lots of people won't bother nowadays looking further than GitHub. It's where they have their little habit and confort, and won't bother learning /using/subscribing to an other plateform.
              Gitlab is very similar, so if you feel familiar with GitHub, you can get almost the same Experience reporting bugs to us on the Freedesktop Gitlab. That is where the Mesa project is hosted, and we have to respect that.

Comment

i've bought many steam games and i'll buy more

Comment

You can also login to Gitlab using your Github account, that's what I do. With that possibility this isn't an issue at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80

lets start with the fact that i had to install xorg-amd driver myself okay? out of the box my ****
                    This varies between distributions. If installing it manually bothers you, then maybe you are using a distribution meant for a different kind of user than yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80
                      then maybe you should stop and think. And not post.
                      Likewise.

Comment

Working...
                      X