Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDVLK 2021.Q1.3 Brings Performance Tuning For War Thunder

Phoronix: AMDVLK 2021.Q1.3 Brings Performance Tuning For War Thunder

AMDVLK 2021.Q1.3 is out this morning as the latest snapshot of the official open-source AMD Radeon Vulkan driver for Linux systems that is derived from their shared platform driver sources...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why do we have amdvlk and radv? Why not focus on radv?

Comment

It's the Freedom to do whatever you intend to do. Different people do different things leading to the same result, consider these as research projects. And the Commonwealth get two great drivers. Whats wrong about it ?

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
        Why do we have amdvlk and radv? Why not focus on radv?
        I believe AMDVLK is a Vulkan driver for both Linux and Windows, while RADV is Linux-only. AMD will work on the Windows driver either way, so the fact that it also works for Linux is a nice bonus.

Comment

I knew War Thunder had a Vulkan path, but I thought it was still WIP and you had to launch it with some console parameters or something like that. Anybody knows how it works currently?

Comment

Originally posted by StandaSK View Post
            I knew War Thunder had a Vulkan path, but I thought it was still WIP and you had to launch it with some console parameters or something like that. Anybody knows how it works currently?
            It became the default renderer on Linux recently, and while there was some graphical glitches on day one, they quickly went away. Last time I played it worked perfectly. The performance is miles ahead of the old OpenGL renderer. I think my frame-rate more than doubled, and it's roughly as good as on Windows now. War Thunder on Linux with OpenGL used to have horrible performance compared to Windows.

Comment

Afaik it is still as WIP as ever while being made default now - you even still have to kill your x-server to not only get a black screen on some DEs...it's a disgrace

Comment

It is the default now (at least on Linux and Windows) for 2 major releases now. It is faster than the OpenGL version by about 30% (which may depend on card), while they added even more visual effects. That's with the Mesa RADV driver, while the article is about AMDVLK.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
                  Afaik it is still as WIP as ever while being made default now - you even still have to kill your x-server to not only get a black screen on some DEs...it's a disgrace
                  This was a problem at the beginning but was fixed after about 2 days since release. AFAIK it only happened with KDE. So if you still have it, what is your DE?

At least 2 people here already commented that it works fine now (I'm on X server, no wayland).

Comment

bridgman When are we getting vulkan ray tracing for either this or radv? Any ETA?

Comment

Working...
                    X