RADV Preference On Spilling Buffers To Help Discrete GPUs For Some Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Preference On Spilling Buffers To Help Discrete GPUs For Some Games

Phoronix: RADV Preference On Spilling Buffers To Help Discrete GPUs For Some Games

Dropping a conditional (if) statement from the RADV driver in Mesa is helping the performance of discrete Radeon graphics cards with the RADV Vulkan driver for some games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And here I was, thinking RADV already had amazing performance, so for it to be described as getting "much better" is a great sign.

Comment

Ah, that could help quite a bit on my 4GB R9 Fury

Thanks

Comment

For fun I dusted off a HD 7850 recently and got it to work with AMDGPU eventually (which wasn't that easy on Kubuntu at first as they use a radeon.conf file in /usr/* which you need to delete in addition to the kernel command line options). The change talked about here could help me as my model is only the 1 GB variant. The experience with RADV/ACO wasn't that great so far, I couldn't even get it to work with the 32-bit version of Company of Heroes 2 via Proton/RADV. On the other hand, OpenGL games worked as expected with RadeonSI.

Comment

Makes sense: sounds to me like this isn't really "spilling", it's THRASHING, by effectively forcing objects into VRAM when they don't necessarily belong there, and thus forcing evictions of data that genuinely DOES need to stay there.

Comment

Working...
          X