Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More AMDGPU Patches For Linux 5.12 Point To First Sign Towards PCIe 5.0, FreeSync HDMI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More AMDGPU Patches For Linux 5.12 Point To First Sign Towards PCIe 5.0, FreeSync HDMI

Phoronix: More AMDGPU Patches For Linux 5.12 Point To First Sign Towards PCIe 5.0, FreeSync HDMI

Sent in today to DRM-Next ahead of the Linux 5.12 kernel cycle were "fixes" but some interesting items worth noting in this batch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

very interesting set of changes, indeed!

Comment

Good changes. I hope they make changes to support HDR too.

Comment

This is for the AMD specific FreeSync implementation over HDMI and not the standardized version found in HDMI 2.1+.
        WTF is that, why aren't they doing it for the standardized version found in HDMI 2.1+ ?
        Or is it for the versions of HDMI prior to 2.1 ?

Comment

My almost top of the line 4650g only has PCIe 3.0
          But the motherboard supports 4.0
          I had to settle with 32gb of 3466 non ecc cause ecc is stupid expensive
          Sometime between February 12th to March 10th can't come soon enough

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            WTF is that, why aren't they doing it for the standardized version found in HDMI 2.1+ ?
            IIRC, the AMD one is the 2.0 version.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

IIRC, the AMD one is the 2.0 version.
              True, but I think the RDNA 2 ones have HDMI 2.1
              Even there they will use the non-standard one ?
              I really don't want the stupid situation where it works on this TV brand, but it doesn't work on other TV brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Prior to 2.1, it wasn't a part of the standard, so AMD had to make something up. Unfortunately, 2.1 is not an open specification, so unless someone can decode the absurd bitrate over 48 pins and document everything, we're unlikely to see any work on that front.

Comment

If PCIe 4.0 made motherboard manufacturers upset to the point they had to put in a fan on the bus, then what will they put for PCIe 5.0 motherboards?

Water cooling block?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    If PCIe 4.0 made motherboard manufacturers upset to the point they had to put in a fan on the bus, then what will they put for PCIe 5.0 motherboards?

Water cooling block?
                    Cryogenic cooling or, alternatively, the upcoming bridges will use a more advanced process node to fit in a 5W/7W power envelope.

Comment

Working...
                    X