Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Hopefully after this feature is implemented, they will have a look at HDMI-CEC to be able to control the computer's software like Kodi / Plex mediacenters with the TV's remote control.

That would really be a kick-ass feature that would leave Nvidia nd intel in the dust.
      Hardware has to support it and it certainly does not. There are USB dongles though that extract the CEC signal from the HDMI mux (?) which run very well on mainline Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Girolamo_Cavazzoni View Post

Hardware has to support it and it certainly does not. There are USB dongles though that extract the CEC signal from the HDMI mux (?) which run very well on mainline Linux.
        It's a shame Raspberry Pi hardware has support for it and AMD GPUs that cost at least 10 times more don't.
        But that's how overpriced products are.

Do you know any USB dongles that can do that and wouldn't the whole HDMI to USB conversion lose a lot of HDMI features like 4K, 120 HZ, 10bit, HDR, etc ?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          AMD authored a proprietary extension to offer Freesync support for them as far as I remember correctly.
          This is wrong. Freesync is based on VESA Adaptive Sync so it's an official part of DisplayPort, but it's not a requirement.

The term Freesync is mostly used to specify AMDs implementation of VESA Adaptive Sync, so technically you can't "support freesync" but only be Freesync certified (different certifications depending if it's Freesync 1, 2 or HDR).
          What the display actually supports is VESA Adaptive Sync (which NVidia now has started to do to a degree).

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            does amd apu supports freesync?
            also why people are stuck on hdmi. just move forward and improve displayport. people will have to change their monitors in a few years anyway. its time to improve that displayport
            Many displays (e.g. below average price TVs) don't have any DP ports. I know couple of normies who bought a $500 TV set on last Black Friday or before Christmas, those only had like 3 HDMI ports, VGA, and one composite analog input. No DPs.

Comment

It's a shame Raspberry Pi hardware has support for it and AMD GPUs that cost at least 10 times more don't.
              But that's how overpriced products are.

Do you know any USB dongles that can do that and wouldn't the whole HDMI to USB conversion lose a lot of HDMI features like 4K, 120 HZ, 10bit, HDR, etc ?
              The CEC uses different pins, but it might be the case that the dongle has crappy shielding and does not pass through high def video.

Comment

caligula thats true. but most tvs don't have freesync also. i guess that DP to HDMI in this cases should be more than enough.
                and as i said there is time to develop a new version of DP. people will not give up their displays right away

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

This is wrong. Freesync is based on VESA Adaptive Sync so it's an official part of DisplayPort, but it's not a requirement.

The term Freesync is mostly used to specify AMDs implementation of VESA Adaptive Sync, so technically you can't "support freesync" but only be Freesync certified (different certifications depending if it's Freesync 1, 2 or HDR).
                  What the display actually supports is VESA Adaptive Sync (which NVidia now has started to do to a degree).
                  I am referring to the implementation in HDMI, not DisplayPort. I also won't argue about using the marketing term from AMD over the more generic term, that is a non-issue here as we are talking about AMD's implementation anyways. I am still pretty confident that AMD implemented that capability for pre-2.1 HDMI with a proprietary extension as it was only standardized for HDMI with 2.1. And I hope that all these users are now covered, as I owned such a FreeSync monitor with HDMI-only output and consider it to be a major feature that makes quite a difference in the gaming experience. It is somewhat unfortunate that these users had to wait this long to see it implemented on Linux. But better late than never.

Comment

I have a notebook with Rx 540 (advertised with freesync support) and a monitor with freesync support.

Once this patch is mainlined, should I be able to use freesync in this notebook?

Comment

I‘ve got this one but I don‘t know about those features because I don‘t use them.

Comment

Working...
                      X