AMD FreeSync HDMI Patch Appearing For Their Open-Source Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FreeSync HDMI Patch Appearing For Their Open-Source Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD FreeSync HDMI Patch Appearing For Their Open-Source Linux Driver

While the AMD Linux graphics driver for some time has been supporting FreeSync over DisplayPort connections, FreeSync displays connected via HDMI have not been supported. But now we are finally seeing the start of patches at least as far as HDMI pre-v2.1 support is concerned...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, from amd.com also, nice!

Comment

Amazing. And i thought this would never come! I am so eager to try this out on my setup of amdgpu + freesync-only tv. Finally, freesync gaming on a TV will be possible for Linux.

Comment

finally, lets hope this lands ASAP

Comment

does amd apu supports freesync?
          also why people are stuck on hdmi. just move forward and improve displayport. people will have to change their monitors in a few years anyway. its time to improve that displayport

Comment

Excellent!!! i have an hdmi monitor that supports freesync and an rx 5500xt which is hdmi v 2.0 max connected via hdmi v2.0 cable, this will finally enable the much needed capability of freesync for my monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              does amd apu supports freesync?
              also why people are stuck on hdmi. just move forward and improve displayport. people will have to change their monitors in a few years anyway. its time to improve that displayport
              AMD ryzen APU's support freesync, yes.

Competition is a good thing. Dont think DP are saints, They are just a smaller team asking less royalties and mostly implementing monitor features instead of also providing ethernet over their cables.

Comment

pre-HDMI 2.1 means practically all relevant HDMI specifications, right?! That would be great! HDMI 2.1 has VRR already specified in the standard officially, hence supporting that equals VRR support by default. As for the former specs, AMD authored a proprietary extension to offer Freesync support for them as far as I remember correctly. But it seems that was not the only issue to bring HDMI Freesync support to Linux (as Michael mentioned in the article, the open-source unfriendliness of the HDMI consortium might have been a factor, too).

Comment

This is great!
                  I'm really tired of explaining to people that I cannot use DP because my monitor of choice is a TV because I want 4K @ 120 Hz and there's one one or two monitors capable of that and they are very expensive, but at the same time I want to use the Freesync / VRR feature.

Hopefully after this feature is implemented, they will have a look at HDMI-CEC to be able to control the computer's software like Kodi / Plex mediacenters with the TV's remote control.

That would really be a kick-ass feature that would leave Nvidia nd intel in the dust.

Comment

Keeping specs secret has always been absurd, but forbidding open source implementations is taking it to a whole new level.

If you have access to spec documents, I hesitate to recommend illegal actions but the world will surely be better off if you share them as widely as possible or even upload them to sites like SciHub (watch out for identifying watermarks though).

Comment

Working...
                    X