Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Could Be The Year That AMD Radeon Graphics Can Hot Unplug Gracefully On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Could Be The Year That AMD Radeon Graphics Can Hot Unplug Gracefully On Linux

Phoronix: 2021 Could Be The Year That AMD Radeon Graphics Can Hot Unplug Gracefully On Linux

It's been nearly one year that AMDGPU patches have been around to better handle GPU hot unplugging on Linux. The use-case for that being either removal via sysfs such as if then assigning the GPU to a VM or for external GPUs such as connected via Thunderbolt. Those patches are still baking but the latest iteration of the work has now been published by AMD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yknow this isn't maybe primary use-case, but for desktop linux it does seem like it's time someone came up with a way to reattach a running X or wayland or whatever people won't hate me for mentioning. windows actually recovers beautifully from gpu resets, which... might be one of the few things windows does beautifully, but that just makes it more sad

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post
      windows actually recovers beautifully from gpu resets, which... might be one of the few things windows does beautifully, but that just makes it more sad
      Thanks for the laugh. I use Windows a lot, unfortunately, and while -- usually -- the Windows kernel doesn't choke on a GPU reset, you probably still would need to restart all apps because their DPI is wrong, they are rendering empty rectangles, or worse problems. If you restarted with a different color mapping ... might as well reboot.

People complain about GNOME Shell being unable to cleanly reload under Wayland (I'm one of those people!!!) but there's nothing specifically in Wayland that disallows that, it's something the GNOME Shell could accomplish with changes to its architecture.

The world of free desktops has a very long march until we get it all right. We want multiple display support with VRR, HDR, and other features being set different for each, and of course it all has to be remotable. All I can say is that Windows, despite some advantages (e.g. HDR support) is not that much better. We're at a state of more-or-less equal footing. And we keep getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

Thanks for the laugh. I use Windows a lot, unfortunately, and while -- usually -- the Windows kernel doesn't choke on a GPU reset, you probably still would need to restart all apps because their DPI is wrong, they are rendering empty rectangles, or worse problems. If you restarted with a different color mapping ... might as well reboot.

People complain about GNOME Shell being unable to cleanly reload under Wayland (I'm one of those people!!!) but there's nothing specifically in Wayland that disallows that, it's something the GNOME Shell could accomplish with changes to its architecture.

The world of free desktops has a very long march until we get it all right. We want multiple display support with VRR, HDR, and other features being set different for each, and of course it all has to be remotable. All I can say is that Windows, despite some advantages (e.g. HDR support) is not that much better. We're at a state of more-or-less equal footing. And we keep getting better.
        agreed! and partly just because good OSS tends to stick! tbh i want to learn a bit of coding and start poking around to figure out where i can help that long march along, as paying devs not so doable.. how many people do bug bounties?

still this is great news. i like the direction hw is going in general

Comment

I've only used an external GPU (nVidia) once, on a laptop; neither Linux nor Windows handled having it disappear without warning (when there was a power cut) with any sort of grace or stability. That said, that was a few years ago, it may have improved.

Comment

Hopefully, this will be useful for GPU driver development too. For example, unloading amdgpu module, and loading a new one without rebooting.

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post
              yknow this isn't maybe primary use-case, but for desktop linux it does seem like it's time someone came up with a way to reattach a running X or wayland or whatever people won't hate me for mentioning.
              hello https://xpra.org/

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                oh interesting...

also, shame on you for using X; you're obviously afraid of change and improvements and are trying to hold the world back. i'm politically offended.

ty though.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

I don't pretend to defend windows, but in those cases it seems that you still can select the window and press Ctrl+S to save your work...

Comment

Finally! If this happens then perhaps I could recover from a sudden card shutdown...

Comment

Working...
                    X