Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends In More "New Stuff" For Radeon Graphics With Linux 5.12

Phoronix: AMD Sends In More "New Stuff" For Radeon Graphics With Linux 5.12

Sent in last week were many AMD graphics driver updates slated for Linux 5.12 including the likes of Radeon RX 6000 series OverDrive support. This week marks another batch of AMDGPU kernel driver changes being submitted to DRM-Next ahead of the Linux 5.12 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly the one graphics feature I want is proper HDR support. It'd most likely be Wayland-only, but that's fine, as Wayland is very decently usable nowadays from my experiences with an RX 5700 XT and KDE Plasma's Wayland session.

Comment

Originally posted by aspen View Post
      Honestly the one graphics feature I want is proper HDR support. It'd most likely be Wayland-only, but that's fine, as Wayland is very decently usable nowadays from my experiences with an RX 5700 XT and KDE Plasma's Wayland session.
      Same here. I miss the extra color range when I boot into Linux. While it's still brighter and more vibrant than my pre-HDR display, it's just not as good a Windows when you start watching or playing HDR content.

Comment

Originally posted by aspen View Post
        Same here. I don't have a television (don't want one), so I'm watching movies and other videos on my desktop PC. I'd like to be able to watch HDR content too, but as you say, it's not currently possible. I'm eagerly waiting for that to change. There's wonderful 4K HDR content and excellent 4K HDR monitors available, but the missing link is the support on the operating system level (at least I'm not aware of other missing links).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Same here. I miss the extra color range when I boot into Linux. While it's still brighter and more vibrant than my pre-HDR display, it's just not as good a Windows when you start watching or playing HDR content.
          HDR in X is an already proposed X extension and apparently some GTK supprt already for that... it is likely support for X and Wayland happen around the sametime since the underlying guts are the same.

Also try this

Creating a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-screensetup.conf with the following content will give you 10-bit color:

Section "Screen"
          Identifier "Default Screen"
          Monitor "Configured Monitor"
          Device "Configured Video Device" # 24 for 8-bit or 30 for 10-bit
          DefaultDepth 30
          EndSection

Note alot of stuff is still broken with this.
          Last edited by cb88; 15 January 2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

HDR in X is an already proposed X extension and apparently some GTK supprt already for that... it is likely support for X and Wayland happen around the sametime since the underlying guts are the same.

Also try this

Creating a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-screensetup.conf with the following content will give you 10-bit color:

Section "Screen"
            DefaultDepth 30
            EndSection
            Many X apps just break if you try to use 10-bit color.

Comment

Also try this

Section "Screen"
              DefaultDepth 30
              EndSection

I tried that day one of getting my monitor and it didn't go very well.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Comment

Also try this

Section "Screen"
                DefaultDepth 30
                EndSection

Thanks for the tip. I don't actually have a HDR monitor yet, because I have delayed the purchase until I know that HDR works for sure. Your comment suggests that we are at least almost there. I'll listen to other people's experiences, and perhaps dive in soon myself.

I wonder if the working of HDR in Linux depends on the monitor model. Other comments suggest that it doesn't yet work for all, so perhaps some sort of technical compatibility (other than the obvious general HDR stuff) is an issue. I want to be sure before buying the new monitor that HDR in Linux works with that specific model. I have limited resources, so unfortunately there's no room for trial and error with this purchase.

Comment

Unfortunately, driver support is only part of the puzzle. The desktop manager and underlying GUI (ex. xorg and GTK, wayland and GTK) needs to be updated for the support. I believe Wayland support is on development, and there's no formal xorg support for it and at least one xorg developer that they prefer to work hdr support in wayland rather than add to xorg.

There's certain software that bypasses all of that and access the hardware directly to provide hdr (most notably Kodi), but results may vary.

Comment

There is a difference between 10-bit color and HDR. It's the gamma curve, I believe it is called. With 10-bit SDR the brightness is identical between 0-1023 and 0-255. But with HDR the brightness accelerates toward the edges of the color space.

It may be even more confusing after reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_video

But anyway, the 10-bit / 30 - bit color available in X11 currently is 10-bit SDR.

Comment

Working...
                    X