Mesa's RADV ACO Adds Support For Rapid Packed Math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post
    Youtube should be boycotted for violating freedom of speech.
    Why? Because they banned BS Flat Earth-type conspiracy theories? That was long overdue. I was actually boycotting them because that crap wasn't banned. No joke.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      I could imagine that the vulkan neuronal network benchmarks would gain from those changes.
      Deep learning was the whole point of those instructions. From what I can tell, they're not useful for much else, due to the extremely limited set of operations on them.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
        I have some greek content in mind, that is clearly anti-nazi (one video is a song about the defeat of the nazis, while another is a video about the resistance against the German occupation), that got age-restricted although it did not violate any rules.
        I don't think that's the sort of thing Volta was referring to.

Probably some users that didn't like your video flagged it as mature content, in order to restrict the viewership. Have you tried to appeal the decision?

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post

I wasn't aware they were a political entity, more a private business with terms and conditions of use.

Now if your argument is that freedom of speech should extend in law to publishers and publishing platforms then that is a different discussion entirely, and it shouldn't be held on a Linux website.
          Freedom of speech goes hand in hand with software freedoms. If we lose the former we risk losing the latter because you have to be free to speak to be free to host.

And you have to have governments that support your rights and your licenses to have free and open code.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post

I wasn't aware they were a political entity, more a private business with terms and conditions of use.

Now if your argument is that freedom of speech should extend in law to publishers and publishing platforms then that is a different discussion entirely, and it shouldn't be held on a Linux website.
            Oh so where shall it be held then... because everywhere else certainly doesn't have the level of free speech as this forum that's for sure.

When the bill of rights was written, we didn't have chrony capitalism, we had a free market, with mostly individuals having influence in politics not corporations.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Deep learning was the whole point of those instructions. From what I can tell, they're not useful for much else, due to the extremely limited set of operations on them.
              You clearly haven't been paying attention, youtube has gotten very opinionated lately, and your stuff will get banned for minor infractions, remember when all the videos were getting demonetized for mentioning COVID... that's the very definition of a chilling effect.

No company providing a social network platform should be allowed to censor speech.... they *aren't* publishers.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I've always wondered why FP16 wasn't approached this way sooner. I figured there was some major architectural challenge behind it because otherwise it would've been done like 20 years ago.
                Fp16 was going to be the next big thing in GPUs, in the mid-2000's, I think. That's what prompted its addition to IEEE-754 and got it added as a buffer format in OpenGL.

But all AMD GPUs ever really did with it is to provide instructions for reading/writing fp16 memory to/from fp32 registers (which I think they didn't even add until Polaris). So, it ended up just being a bandwidth-savings technique. I guess they thought that since they could already issue single-cycle fp32 computation, what would be the point in doing anything more with fp16?

...that was until Nvidia's P100 datacenter GPU came along with support for a fp16 2-element dot product. So, then AMD answered back by adding it to Vega. But they were too late to copy GP102's 8-bit dot product, which didn't show up until Vega20 (the 7nm refresh, best known as Radeon VII). And both Nvidia and AMD missed the boat on BFloat16, which finally made its appearance in Arcturus (CDNA).

Maybe fp16 is a bigger deal in mobile GPUs? Does anyone know?

Comment

Michael

Would it be possible to create an offtopic dump thread? Some place to send our posts when we start going completely tarded and offtopic so we can continue the conversations without shitting on every article.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Freedom of speech goes hand in hand with software freedoms. If we lose the former we risk losing the latter because you have to be free to speak to be free to host.

And you have to have governments that support your rights and your licenses to have free and open code.
                    Well, yeah, but you're really talking across sykobee 's point. Government can't force a private individual or entity to host certain speech - that would violate their 1st amendment rights. This is a well-established legal principle.

If you can't find someone to host your content, then your only recourse is to host it, yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      I've seen a few articles with YouTube videos embedded in the past. That's not a new thing on Phoronix. I actually remember people complaining about videos being on YouTube and not some other less tracking invasive video hosting site and I halfway expect this comment to trigger those people.
                      He's just posting a link to AMD's own video. He'd have to get their permission to copy it and re-post it somewhere else, because it's their copyrighted content.

I see no harm in just linking the video and letting people decide for themselves if they want to watch it. It's not the only place to learn about Radeon's rapid packed math.
                      Last edited by coder; 15 January 2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X