Mesa's RADV ACO Adds Support For Rapid Packed Math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    Well, yeah, but you're really talking across sykobee 's point. Government can't force a private individual or entity to host certain speech - that would violate their 1st amendment rights. This is a well-established legal principle.

If you can't find someone to host your content, then your only recourse is to host it, yourself.
    Agreed. The fundamental problem, however, is that if you don't have control over the internet nodes, the backbone of the internet, then there is always someone one level above you which basically means you are always under a private individual or entity and, therefore, actually have no free speech on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
      No company providing a social network platform should be allowed to censor speech.... they *aren't* publishers.
      That's an interesting opinion, but completely at odds with well-established legal precedent. From what I understand, SCoTUS has even ruled that you can't force someone to publish or host something, as that would violate their 1st amendment rights.

If you have a problem with it, setup your own hosting company and host whatever you want.

Comment

He's just posting a link to AMD's own video. He'd have their permission to copy it and re-post it somewhere else, because it's their copyrighted content.

I see no harm in just linking the video and letting people decide for themselves if they want to watch it. It's not the only place to learn about Radeon's rapid packed math.
        I don't care either. Some people do and wonder why youtube-nocookie isn't used.

Either way I'm starting to feel the need to upgrade my RX 580. They need to hurry up with a $200 mid-range next-gen card...well, $250 now...thanks, Trump tariff.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Either way I'm starting to feel the need to upgrade my RX 580. They need to hurry up with a $200 mid-range next-gen card...
          "First half of the year will have new discrete RDNA2 GPUs as well"

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16407...11am-et-8am-pt

Comment

That's an interesting opinion, but completely at odds with well-established legal precedent. From what I understand, SCoTUS has even ruled that you can't force someone to publish or host something, as that would violate their 1st amendment rights.

If you have a problem with it, setup your own hosting company and host whatever you want.
            It's basically the same thing with schools and free speech. Once you are at the school you give up your rights for their rules and they can be as free or restrictive as they like. Bong Hits 4 Jesus established that one.

Comment

Legal precedent doesn't mean much if it was a bad ruling... "well established or no", there is also the fact that most schools receive government funding so by definition should not be able to limit free speech as they act as extensions of the government. Institutions in general should be required to extend to us the same rights that are demanded from the government.

Comment

Deep learning was the whole point of those instructions. From what I can tell, they're not useful for much else, due to the extremely limited set of operations on them.
                8-bit instructions and mixed precision instructions are indeed fairly limited and mostly only useful for machine learning, but fp16/int16 have a fairly complete set of instructions. This mostly follows mobile (mobile phones etc.) where doing lots of calculations with fp16 instead of fp32 is beneficial. A common thing that can move to fp16 is most color calculations (i.e. position is fp32, color is fp16 and texture coords depend on the situation). Sadly almost no desktop game uses fp16, which is why it hasn't really been top priority for radv.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  Youtube should be boycotted for violating freedom of speech.
                  you can leave it right now and speak in your closet
                  Last edited by pal666; 15 January 2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
                    Saying that youtube violates the freedom of speech is neither nazi nor trumpist. It is a fact.
                    I have some greek content in mind, that is clearly anti-nazi (one video is a song about the defeat of the nazis, while another is a video about the resistance against the German occupation), that got age-restricted although it did not violate any rules.
                    but nazi trumpist was upset not because of age-restriction. it's also a fact. he was upset because youtube doesn't want to be held accountable for actions of his fuhrer

Comment

Deep learning was the whole point of those instructions. From what I can tell, they're not useful for much else, due to the extremely limited set of operations on them.
                      i thought fp16 color channels are thing

Comment

Working...
                      X