AMD Making Progress On HMM-Based SVM Memory Manager For Open-Source Compute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Making Progress On HMM-Based SVM Memory Manager For Open-Source Compute

Phoronix: AMD Making Progress On HMM-Based SVM Memory Manager For Open-Source Compute

This week AMD engineers published their initial code for the AMDGPU/AMDKFD Linux kernel driver for providing a Heterogeneous Memory Management based Shared Virtual Memory (SVM) memory manager that ultimately will be used by their ROCm compute stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I recommend to read the discussion between Felix and Daniel. Even though it is sad to read about dropped hardware capabilities between GFX9 and GFX10, the "best" part is: "We'll need to work with our hardware teams to restore that capability in a future generation." - I just hope that the consequences for GFXv10 users are not that bad or that it can be worked around after all, the discussed alternatives sound a bit painful though. It seems that gaming workloads with some OpenCL usage for physics is the most impacted use-case.

Comment

"Like" this post if you saw HMM and SVM and initially thought of Hidden Markov Models and Support Vector Machines.

Comment

ms178 IDK that it matters since RX6000 does not appear to be a real product. It has never actually been offered for sale in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
          ms178 IDK that it matters since RX6000 does not appear to be a real product. It has never actually been offered for sale in fact.
          Hmm... That sounds strange.. i Wonder what card is running in My PC then... At least herr in Sweden there are new cards coming in stock all the time... You just need to be ready when they come in...

Comment

I haven't seen too much stock in Germany either. I guess we can be thankful that AMD still uses Vega in the upcoming new APUs. It seems to be better suited for combined compute/graphics workloads than RDNA2.

Comment

Waiting for RDNA3, RDNA2 seems a failure...

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

Hmm... That sounds strange.. i Wonder what card is running in My PC then... At least herr in Sweden there are new cards coming in stock all the time... You just need to be ready when they come in...
                I cannot explain Sweden's stock levels. In North America they were out of stock at launch and have never shown stock since. I watch the sites pretty closely, and while the 3090 does show up every few days the 6900XT has not shown up once.

If AMD is shipping them IDK where they are sending them besides Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

Hey, since you have one - how does it perform? Can you compare it to your previous card?

Comment

I cannot explain Sweden's stock levels. In North America they were out of stock at launch and have never shown stock since. I watch the sites pretty closely, and while the 3090 does show up every few days the 6900XT has not shown up once.

If AMD is shipping them IDK where they are sending them besides Sweden.
                    Well, i cannot explain where AMD sends the cards byt yes we see the 6000series beeing restocked and depleted time to time. I did not get the 6900XT but the 6800.

More precisely I got this card: https://www.inet.se/produkt/5411908/...16gb-red-devil

So far it is running very silent and good.

Comment

Working...
                    X