The Qt Company Is Tomorrow Moving Qt 5.15 To Its Commercial-Only LTS Phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    skeevy420 You did not capitalize the initial letter of the stop words. This is a pivotal trait of clowns speak
    If the FBI doesn't need of, neither do I

Comment

I don't defend the company. They suck. I can't stand their management and every statement they make and I don't think I ever defended them here or anywhere else.
      I defend Qt as a platform.
      Qt as a platform sucks even more, its a horrible mess no one should use in 2020, even worse then Electron since Qt5 and thats impressive.
      But at least it as a software isn't a major moral issue. But defending the platform equals to defending the horribly people who work for Qt or even worse fix bugs they are too lazy to fix themself and contribute aka give all rights of that code to the Qt Company thanks to their more then greedy CLA.

Comment

It's an interesting project, but I don't think it has the traction needed to be a valid alternative.
        That, plus the fact that it's mainly maintained by 2 persons, so the community will go nuts, just like how they are constantly going nuts over TQt3 by the TDE project being maintained by too few persons...

Comment

Calling for a fork is cheap. Actually developing and maintaining one isn't.

It seems that relicensing Qt under the LGPL during the Nokia years took away most of the commercial income, and now that it has been spun off into its own company again they are finding it difficult to work economically.

Successful open source projects tend to be community style projects, where a bunch of individuals and companies, some of which are competitors with each other, come together to share the burden of maintaining the commodified base upon which they depend. Case in point, the Linux kernel. But of course a poison pill licensing structure with copyright assignment, like Qt, prevents such a community from forming in the first place, as there's this one special contributor that's more equal than the others.

I'm not really sure what the solution would be here. Seems most competitors to Qt are offered for free by big companies as a means to drive developers to their platforms, so they have no need to show positive income by themselves. How are you supposed to compete with that?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Qt sure do know how to boil a frog without killing it.
            Its an Art XD
            Last edited by AJSB; 05 January 2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Qt as a platform sucks even more, its a horrible mess no one should use in 2020, even worse then Electron since Qt5 and thats impressive.
              But at least it as a software isn't a major moral issue. But defending the platform equals to defending the horribly people who work for Qt or even worse fix bugs they are too lazy to fix themself and contribute aka give all rights of that code to the Qt Company thanks to their more then greedy CLA.
              So, tell us, what should we use in 2021?

However any significant software seems to have someone calling it "horrible mess" and besides that you don't always get to choose every technology you like.
              In fact people usually work on existing projects, which always have their fair amount of quirks.

That said, I like working with Qt, as many other people, so it might be that different people have different tastes and your opinion is just that...

Comment

The matter of fact is, if you want a good cross platform toolkit than Qt is your only real hope (please dont mention GTK, its complete crap from a UI/native look PoV for anything outside of *nix). As stated else, Qt also provides an entire ecosystem (i.e. they basically have their own stdlib which comes with everything and the kitchen sink) because back in the days, C++ was horrible in this regard.

It turns out that maintaining such a project is enormous, its probably one of the most complex codebases as it has to cater for all of the desktop/OS'isms (between Mac/Windows and *nix) while still being native. Qt is the only such successful project that achieves this, and it turns out this happens to be really expensive.

Really this is analogous to what happened with JVM (which is GPL with a library sharing exclusion) and CentOS stream, i.e. the latest upstream is for free and open source but if you use outdated versions of our software then you have to pay for it. For projects of this size and complexity it makes initial sense although I hope that alternatives do crop up.

Also as said earlier, you are always free to fork Qt but by the mere fact that there is no serious well maintained fork of Qt is already indicative of how complex it is.

Comment

Just another Copperspice dev throwing in 2 cents: the team has been working hard for years and has done an amazing job at moving the code into the next century. I'm helping our company to migrate as we speak and honestly the migration process itself was a no more than a few days work, not weeks. Its just that after you migrate you can see all the potential new improvements you can make that takes more time

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS
                    JackLilhammers 👏You👏Can’t👏Separate👏Company👏And👏Platform👏Because👏
                    Of👏CLA👏
                    The Qt Company, you have betrayed us. Look at what you have done.
                    These guys took over the thread rather quick, installed their rows and are making fun of us as if we have to use GTK or perish.

You could have sold your company to SUSE or something instead, and they would have managed it better than you do.
                    But no, instead you let the two big trolls lead you to make dumb decisions. Phoronix turns into GNOMix, and the world ends.

It would be nice if we could get rid of the two trolls for once. Not sure if I can even call them trolls, since they speak half facts and half propaganda...
                    But they are extremely annoying and degrade the quality of this forum....
                    Last edited by tildearrow; 05 January 2021, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Excuse me, who would these traitors be?
                      I will be explicit.

144Hz and Alexmitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X