No announcement yet.

The Qt Company Is Tomorrow Moving Qt 5.15 To Its Commercial-Only LTS Phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I know for certain, I won't be paying for it, I am using KDE, and I am willing to donate to KDE team, but not to greedy Qt Framework business. I hope FOSS community will fork and develop Qt without Qt Company. Just like community forked out OpenOffice, Java, and many other projects in the past.

Comment

My decision to move to window managers like fluxbox and dwm is looking more brilliant by the day. I really impress myself with how much smarter I am than the rest of you filthy peasants.

Comment

CommunityMember
        Assuming that said companies want to ditch Qt, which is unlikely, given the lack of industrial grade alternatives.

quaz0r
        It may be cleaner from a design point of view and of course for the compliance to more modern C++ standards, but it's way uglier. A class with many slots in CopperSpice is mostly boilerplate code. But that's just my taste.

However, the point is that Qt is kind of an ecosystem. It's not just the moc, in fact the moc is not really that interesting to the user.
        It's the tooling, the documentation, the examples.
        I may very well be wrong, but to my knowledge the alternatives are not even close on these things

Comment

Open Source can't exist without some group of commercial companies funding these "successful, free and open" products (like with Linux/LibreOffice/Blender/etc).
          Money rules everything at all times and once the stream of money ends these projects either die or become proprietary like Qt and all their blabbering about freedom turns out to be naive fairy tales as anyone with common sense already knew.

Comment

Seems like they could come to an agreement that if you have a company that is helping and contributing to the project they could get a "free" license for the LTS. Some kind of contribution versus value.

Comment

The Copper Must Flow!

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                My decision to move to window managers like fluxbox and dwm is looking more brilliant by the day. I really impress myself with how much smarter I am than the rest of you filthy peasants.
                Fuck you, dirt's good for my digestion! Even though I've known about the relicensing for ages, I'gone in deeper with poor ol KDE rather than jump ship.

On a slight aside, could KDE potentially migrate to this Copper Spice in a reasonable (2 years) time frame?
                Hi

Comment

KDE should fork it and fork it big I suggest taking from the playbook of history. Decrement letters QT and call it PS, which of course itself is an abreviation for the latin phrase 'postscriptum' (postscript), meaning to write after.

This kind of decrement / increment came from the book and movie called "2001 a Space Odyssey' where the computer named HAL got it's name by decrementing the letters iBM. Much latter it was said that Microsoft's new OS that broke away from DOS got the name WNT by incrementing the letters from another popular OS at the time called VMS.

Perhaps it would be as easy as writing a Perlscript to replace every reference of Qt with Ps of course once done there would be no going back and merging or back porting from one branch to the other, but that's kind of the point

VIVA PS

Comment

Brain dead, PS is of course already in use by Adobe's Postscript printer markup language. How about PSS

Comment

there is no any good GUI library for C++ , at least publicly available and somehow known. Qt, to be fair, is tremendous. Its size is near to an operating system, QML is imho a wrong approach in general and very poorly designed from a binding to c++ viewpoint. Just setting QT up can take several days. I’d want to write something easy to use and free, but as most of people have no brain power after the main job. The most healthy approach I saw some time in the past was in CEGUI library, I don’t know how it feels now though.

Comment

Working...
                      X