X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
    Meanwhile...
    GTK 4: "Hey, someone wants to be my friend?"

More and more Electron Apps will appear, I guess... Then, Electron will be an operating system, and it will be called Chromium OS Electron OS.
    Gtk is not really comparable to Qt. To be clear, Gtk is a perfectly fine gui toolkit, but Qt is not just a gui toolkit.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

0!

Quick! Fork it now before it shuts down!

This makes no sense, it will kill the Qt Company and the other traitors will reign over the world...
    Excuse me, who would these traitors be?

Originally posted by stephen82 View Post

There already is one and has a name: https://www.copperspice.com/
    It's an interesting project, but I don't think it has the traction needed to be a valid alternative.
    Besides, avoiding the moc makes the code way uglier (IMHO)

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    The CLA toolkit won’t give back to the community. Not a surprise really..
    We missed your useful contributions

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    I have a simple solution to These CLA wars of the KDE/QT criminals...

I Switched all my Computer+ Family Computer to Fedora 33 With Gnome and Cinnamon
    Problem fixed For me.

Just let the Qt people die because of CLA war
    That's it. Problem solved. Thank you everybody

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Too bad they said nothing back when the plans were announced. I've seen so many community developers saying that this move doesn't matter because FOSS devs and users use the latest anyway and don't care about LTS.
    That's true, the distributions follow their packing schedule that doesn't line up with Qt LTS releases.
    In fact this won't affect much Kde or the distributions. Those really hurt are little companies and small open source projects

PS: Is it possible that everything that Tuukka Turunen says or writes makes my skin crawl?

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
      Fork it and f*ck it (Qt6). I know Krita devs are unhappy about Qt6 dropping ANGLE, and many other things are still missing. The graphical backend being unable to take advantage of vulkan's predilection for multithreading is a travesty, and Qt6 largely feels like a simplification with some modernization. If maintaining useful features is too hard for the Qt Company, maybe the software would be best served in the hands of someone else.
      Maybe the Krita developers should lead the way creating the Krita Toolkit...

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        I have a simple solution to These CLA wars of the KDE/QT criminals...

I Switched all my Computer+ Family Computer to Fedora 33 With Gnome and Cinnamon
        Problem fixed For me.

Just let the Qt people die because of CLA war
        No, it's not. You still need to change your nickname to Garidarium.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
          Flamewars in 3, 2, 1...
          I will start: you can always migrate to GKT

Comment

Opponents of open-source projects: « Oh, that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh »

Comment

Originally posted by BraindeadBZH View Post
              To me it makes some sense that LTS is commercial only but why so early? Qt 6 is far from being production ready.
              Force people to pay I think?
              But oddly enough, thanks to RedHat, this move looks more conservative and acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Maybe the Krita developers should lead the way creating the Krita Toolkit...
                ... only to have the Gnome people infiltrate and steal governance away from the people that created it? That's what GTK is for.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                  that presumes that there are enough external contributors that know the Qt code(s) well enough to be able to result in good fixes to a potential Libre-Qt fork.
                  Probably employee contract would prevent it with some clause, but with enough financial incentive from the community or sponsors, you could potentially "poach" some of those Qt devs who can either continue to do what they've been doing for I guess more money, but to the libre fork, or help document/mentor in whatever way would help share their knowledge to upskill cheaper talent or volunteer contributors.

That said, apart from the 5.x series ending with an LTS, future releases after an LTS in 6.x series would technically include any code that the LTS prior to it received in addition to extras no? I haven't had any stability issues with Qt in recent years that I can recall, you still get an LTS release if you need one, just lacking backports (I assume any security fixes would be beneficial to make available for avoiding damage to reputation, bit of a double edge sword to use those as financial incentive, Java did this though iirc).

Comment

when did Oracle buy QT ?

Comment

I never liked Qt because of it's controlled by a single company and here we see why that is bad again.

Comment

Working...
                      X