Linux 5.12 To Support Radeon RX 6000 Series OverDrive Overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12 To Support Radeon RX 6000 Series OverDrive Overclocking

Phoronix: Linux 5.12 To Support Radeon RX 6000 Series OverDrive Overclocking

With the Linux 5.12 kernel next spring it looks like the Radeon RX 6000 "RDNA 2" overclocking support will be in order...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As far as I understand "rage mode" only increases the power cap by a small margin, which should be possible with overdrive. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
      As far as I understand "rage mode" only increases the power cap by a small margin, which should be possible with overdrive. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
      This is also what I heard, rage mode just increases the power envelope (which allows the card to clock slightly higher).

Comment

Will there be the 2.8/3Ghz frequency cap like you get on windows? the mem frequency is also limited to a low value
        It would be nice if we can actually do some real overclocking on them

Comment

Granted, not the highest priority especially for Linux users where overclocking is predominantly done via writing to sysfs via the command-line given the lack of any nice overclocking GUI control panel from AMD.
          If I had to choose one, I'd prefer the sysfs way tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post

If I had to choose one, I'd prefer the sysfs way tbh.
            Well, I wouldn't want to lose it because of scripting, but a GUI would be so awesome...

Comment

Sad.

We have overclocking, but no control panel. The 1980s are calling.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                Sad.

Well to be pedantic, Michael said no gui FROM AMD.

I've messed around with MSI Afterburner and AMD WattMan on Windows, and I far prefer Radeon-Profile on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                  Sad.

Really its not the 1980s. 1990s in windows 95/98 did we see GPU control panels but these did not have overclocking until into the 2000s.

For your mesa based drivers you do have a control panel just not a overclocking control panel.

Early 2000s are calling not the 1980s if you are going by driver suite provided control panels.

https://github.com/BoukeHaarsma23/WattmanGTK There are third parties ones on Linux that do the overclocking controls. It would be nice if this functionality would end up in adriconf or mainlined into mesa.

Comment

Will be possible to overvolt and increase the TDP limit as well? Otherwise it will be almost useless...
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X