• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by Santyago View Post
    Hi,

I made small benchmark.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz
    ATI Mobility Radeon? HD 3470

Now is slower than Shadowfb
    Check your xorg log and make sure the dri and exa are actually enabled. You'll need an updated drm from either Dave's drm-next tree or the r6xx-r7xx-support branch of the drm tree on fdo.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Santyago View Post
    For those tests I would expect EXA to be slower than shadowfb, since they're all dealing with relatively small objects and shadowfb is hard to beat there. If you had tests dealing with large screen areas I think you would find EXA to be faster in some of those cases.

Gears numbers are higher with shadowfb because it's running entirely with software rendering, and the software renderer can draw much more quickly into the system-memory FB used by shadowfb than it can draw into video memory (with EXA the master copy of the screen is in video memory rather than system memory).

I haven't found any good benchmarks for the kind of UI activities where HW acceleration really helps (scrolling etc..), so it's kinda hard to show an improvement in a benchmark today. Generally, though, small things are faster with shadowfb and big things are faster with EXA.
    Last edited by bridgman; 14 March 2009, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Vighy View Post
    I used the r600-r700 branch on mesa/drm (that's the same), but Xorg hangs without telling me why! no sign at all in the logs about hangs!
    I imagine the useful messages would be in the kernel log not the X log; is the system completely unresponsive or is it just X that's hanging ?

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    2D compositing seems to work pretty well with metacity, kwin etc..
    That's good to hear.

I was thinking of upgrading from my 9250 to a 780 IGP (probably) in the near future, but after a horrible experience with intel-2.6.1 I'm a bit more cautious about leaving that comfort zone where everything works perfectly...

Leave a comment:

• SolidSteel144
    replied
    Now for this to hit the testing repositories (Arch).

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    2D compositing seems to work pretty well with metacity, kwin etc..

Leave a comment:

• Vighy
    replied
    Originally posted by charlie View Post
    Updated from linux kernel 2.6.28(too old) to kernel 2.6.30 (not out yet).

drm-next is needed to compile xf86-video-ati 6.12.0 and can be obtained from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6 (http version http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...log;h=drm-next).

drm-next is also in Zen-Sources kernel already (http://zen-sources.org/content/gitby-hand-based-setup).
    I used the r600-r700 branch on mesa/drm (that's the same), but Xorg hangs without telling me why! no sign at all in the logs about hangs!

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied
    This is great news. How much of a difference does the EXA make in real apps though? Is 2D compositing usable with 6.12?

Leave a comment:

• Santyago
    replied
    Slower than ShadowFB

Hi,

I made small benchmark.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz
    ATI Mobility Radeon? HD 3470

Now is slower than Shadowfb

Leave a comment:

• Santyago
    replied