Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    (K)Ubuntu 9.04 is awesome isn't it
    I don't know yet. I plan to install 9.04 today because I messed around mit my KDE4.1->4.2 on 8.10. So I'm realy looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      It's not hard to get EXA running with lenny. All you need is the updated ati driver + updated drm. As kernel 2.6.29 does not even have got the needed drm changes I made a little dkms script for that. Be sure you install dkms on Debian before, just fetch it from U.

Why should anybody need U 9.04 for that? It is not even real 3d, only xv.
      I tried to use that, but the script ends with

Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
      kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

I checked the kernel image and source are the same version :
      linux-image-2.6.28-1-amd64 v. 2.6.28-2~snapshot.12850
      linux-source-2.6.28 v. 2.6.28-2~snapshot.12850

I don't know why it can't find the sources.
      Do I need a more recent kernel? (like a 2.6.29 rc)

Comment

Originally posted by Mickabouille View Post
        I tried to use that, but the script ends with

Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
        kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

I checked the kernel image and source are the same version :
        linux-image-2.6.28-1-amd64 v. 2.6.28-2~snapshot.12850
        linux-source-2.6.28 v. 2.6.28-2~snapshot.12850

I don't know why it can't find the sources.
        Do I need a more recent kernel? (like a 2.6.29 rc)
        What do you get when you do a "ls -l /usr/src?" Is there a /usr/src/linux linked to anything?

Comment

Hmm, I would have though it would search the good source directory, as I have many source versions, using the running kernel version as a tip.
          I'll try with a usr/src/linux symlink then.

Comment

I tried that with

Dulorn:/usr/src# ls -l linux
            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root src 19 mar 22 18:19 linux -> linux-source-2.6.28

That didn't change anything.

Comment

I tried that with

Dulorn:/usr/src# ls -l linux
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root src 19 mar 22 18:19 linux -> linux-source-2.6.28

That didn't change anything.
              Did you put a Module.symvers from your linux-headers folder in the linux-source folder? Lacking the version file usually results in errors with loading modules...maybe the install script was looking for the file and didn't see it?

Comment

OK, I was missing the linux-headers package, that BTW is uninstallable at the moment.
                Now it seems to work, I'll have to test (still need to find a way to have a xserver-xorg-video-radeon package...)

Comment

OK, I was missing the linux-headers package, that BTW is uninstallable at the moment.
                  Now it seems to work, I'll have to test (still need to find a way to have a xserver-xorg-video-radeon package...)
                  Your kernel appears to be the latest Sid kernel from the debian-kernel group, so I am going to guess you're running Debian. The latest xserver-xorg-video-radeon in Debian is 6.11 in experimental, which is quite a bit behind current.

Not to worry, I run Debian also and simply built the entire Radeon/DRM/Mesa stack from the latest git from the X.org site. Good instructions are available at the bottom of the Xorg Radeon wiki page. Note that you will want to switch the drm you get to the r6xx/7xx branch to get EXA 2D acceleration and XVideo. The instructions for that are on the RadeonHD R6xx/R7xx wiki page. Follow the instructions on how to build, except for the very first part about getting drm and radeonhd. You already got the drm from git and you want to use radeon, not radeonhd. The rest of the instructions are what you need. I haven't built the absolute latest git version as I built my driver a few days ago and like how it works, but the drm_pciids.h file in the git version I got was broken and killed the compile. There were some malformed strings in that file that I cleaned up so I could compile the module. If you get a lot of errors about drm_pciids.h during the drm module build, tell me and I'll hook you up with a cleaned-up version of drm_pciids.h.

Comment

@Mickabouille

apt-get install module-assistant

m-a prepare

if that gives you an error then you use a kernel which has got no kernel headers available -> no build possible for external modules.

Comment

Working...
                    X