No announcement yet.

xf86-video-ati 6.12.0 Driver With R600/700 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU speed wouldn't make all that much difference. Also, the 2d for r600-r700 hasn't been heavily optimized yet. It sounds like there may be some problems with glyph caching on the computer where it's slow. What xserver version does that machine have?

Fortunately, gallium for r300-500 is being worked on now, and hopefully they will get to r600-700 soon.

I don't have an r600 or r700 card yet, but my next card probably will be!

Comment

Any informations about a new radonhd release?

Comment

Originally posted by izual View Post
        Any informations about a new radonhd release?
        They really should just port the few advantages from RadeonHD to Radeon and let it die.

Comment

Just gave this a shot with my 780G IGP (HD3200). Finally I can watch video without tearing (and much less cpu utilization)! 2D performance seems about the same as with shadowfb (i.e. no acceleration) though text drawing in xterm *seems* faster at least (I just noticed 'dmesg' output scrolled by faster than it did before ). Also has none of the weird (2D) performance drops I sometimes encounter with fglrx

No nasty bugs encountered yet. I think I'll stick with this driver, since I'm not doing any 3D stuff on this machine anyway..

Comment

I guess, if i want to try out this driver, i must uninstall fglrx first?

Comment

Originally posted by Aphax View Post
              Just gave this a shot with my 780G IGP (HD3200). Finally I can watch video without tearing (and much less cpu utilization)! 2D performance seems about the same as with shadowfb (i.e. no acceleration) though text drawing in xterm *seems* faster at least (I just noticed 'dmesg' output scrolled by faster than it did before ). Also has none of the weird (2D) performance drops I sometimes encounter with fglrx

No nasty bugs encountered yet. I think I'll stick with this driver, since I'm not doing any 3D stuff on this machine anyway..
              Are you running with the needed Kernel DRM stuff for R6xx/R7xx?

Comment

Thank you everyone working on the driver! This is a major step forward. I hope to be getting a Radeon HD 4870 sometime later this year, so the more support, the better!

Comment

Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
                  I guess, if i want to try out this driver, i must uninstall fglrx first?
                  Definitely. If you don't fully uninstall fglrx then the fglrx kernel module will interfere with the open source drm and you won't get acceleration.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by russell_h View Post
                    Can someone clarify, updated from what? Is this update available somewhere?
                    Updated from linux kernel 2.6.28(too old) to kernel 2.6.30 (not out yet).

drm-next is needed to compile xf86-video-ati 6.12.0 and can be obtained from git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6 (http version http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...log;h=drm-next).

drm-next is also in Zen-Sources kernel already (http://zen-sources.org/content/gitby-hand-based-setup).

Comment

Small benchmark.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz
                      ATI Mobility Radeon? HD 3470

Much slower than ShadowFB

Comment

Working...
                      X