No announcement yet.

xf86-video-ati 6.12.0 Driver With R600/700 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THe new Kernel DRM modules should do the same for the Radeonhd driver, too.

Comment

Fantastic news, thanks to all involved!

Comment

Hats off to the people dedicated to make this possible.

Thank you all!

Comment

It's one big step forward! I've read, that the free driver performs better in 2D than the fglrx does - and hell: even that one outperforms a faster nVidia massively

So let's hope, they'll get the rest (HD Video, 3D and Power Management) done soon too.

Comment

It is always usefull to do one quick driver test on many different hw/sw configurations, but right now i don't have any HD card. Anyway it is great news, so thank you Alex - even i can't try this now i know that your working results can't be bad!

Comment

Congratulations, but now that FGLRX is dropping support for the R300-R500 hardware, I'd rather like to see some improvements on this front. X still freezes the whole system after some hours (when disabling all EXA acceleration) or minutes (when not disabling them) and every seventh to tenth time I want to play a video using XV, X restarts immediately. I can imagine that playing with the latest hardware is way more fun than hammering out the dells of older code but owners of R600/R700-based cards have their FGLRX, so please deal with the remaining problems before adding more and more features to the driver.

Comment

@d2kx

I see no kernel patches for drm in jaunty git, where did you get your info?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  @d2kx

I see no kernel patches for drm in jaunty git, where did you get your info?
                  Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-ati [Proposed Change] When released, review the code changes and, if acceptable, merge the -ati 6.12.0 driver into main, along with its required kernel changes. [Explanation] The 6.11.0 -ati driver in Jaunty supports Xv for video acceleration up to R5xx chips, but newer chips (R6xx/R7xx) lack support, so videos in mplayer, totem, et al only work with the x11 driver, which means that the movie cannot be played at full-screen size, and other assorted p...

Comment

Originally posted by TheK View Post
                    I've read, that the free driver performs better in 2D than the fglrx does - and hell: even that one outperforms a faster nVidia massively
                    You bet!! I use KDE4 and fglrx with an HD4670 and the 2D performance is unbelievebal bad!

Comment

Originally posted by izual View Post
                      You bet!! I use KDE4 and fglrx with an HD4670 and the 2D performance is unbelievebal bad!
                      Tried with the onboard 3200 and an 4670 here today. The 3200 does 100 gtkperf runs in slightly above 10 seconds; but the 4670 needs 15 for them, loosing _all_ time in the "GtkDrawingArea - Text" test. A GeForce 7600 GS took about 13s for the whole test, but on a slower CPU, if that matters a lot.
                      Last edited by TheK; 14 March 2009, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X