Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Preliminary Look At Radeon RX 6800 XT Windows Performance vs. Open-Source Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post

Did you join these forums just to make these idiotic troll posts? It is already very tired.
    He's right about windows 10. It's utter crap. I waited for Cyberpunk last night to play, but this unholy shit started updates on it's own and restarted few times without asking. It took it two hours. Ubuntu is still better.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Porting Xonotic to Vulkan would require a massive rewrite of the graphics engine...
      It was just example. I'd like to see benchmarks on native games with Vulkan. Serious Sam 3 is probably good candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Well that depends on the statistics you want to believe. MS claims the number one source of BSOD's on Windows is caused by the nVidia driver. And the margin is way bigger than their marketshare advantage.
        Back in the vista days (which was 11 years ago) then yes, but that's because MS came out with a completely new API for the desktop/compositor (WDDM or Windows Driver Display Model) so it took some time for the drivers to iron out all of the bugs.

These days however? BSOD's are in general extremely rare (NVidia cards included).

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Is Ubuntu trash? I don't think so. I think it's trying to do a great deal of things in an inefficient way that uses a lot of resources. I'm not personally a fan.

Some people love it though. Michael seems to appreciate how easy it is to find drivers that work with new hardware, and to find PPAs with cutting edge graphics system packages.

I'm not a complete minimalist, but I'm much more of one than what Ubuntu caters to. I think it's similar to Windows 10 in that it tries to be all things to all people, and ends up tripping over its own feet as a result. As users, we have a responsibility to know what our actual needs are, and to gather tools that efficiently fill those needs. Ubuntu does not provide efficient tools for my needs.
          It doesn't try to be all things to all people.
          What it does though is acknowledging the diversity of use cases and workflows, and try as much as they can through the very narrow limits of Gnome to offer options, configurability and customizations for users to be able to satisfy those use cases and workflows. And I thank them for that. As a user inclined towards user-friendliness (like most), that's what I expect.
          I can do what I want with it, a developer can do what he wants (although he might prefer Fedora as it is very keyboard-centric - the go-to of developers - and single workflow oriented), a graphic designer can stick to it without going through the hassle of some hard to set up distros or drivers availability, etc...
          Of course, when you don't specialize in a specific area, you might stay a bit on the surface or only scuba dive slightly below, but the users Ubuntu targets are average Joes with a knack for computers (but little will to go really deep into it), non-geeks with a hint of geekism. They want to do all the normal stuff (browsing, e-mailing, listening to Spotify, watching Netflix and alikes or some sports, gaming, a bit of word processing, sheet calculations, some youtube, their ID should work for governmental stuff, ...). So, it's alright.
          Yet, you can still dive deeper and there are plenty of sights for geeks to explore. There's still the Debian mechanics behind and it's up to you to swim closer to the depths. If one wants to go on the nerd side and go for the bottomless abyss of no-lifism, then sure Ubuntu might not feel enough, very fortunately.

Comment

False, my 2012 Mac still runs better on macOS/Linux than Windows. Sure, versions after Sierra got slower, but it still runs better than Windows on the same machine.

Under macOS it takes ~10 seconds to take me to the desktop, and then after 20 seconds it is usable.
            Under Windows it takes ~10 seconds to take me to the desktop, but it is extremely slow and takes up to 10 minutes before it is barely usable (and even so, the disk is overtaxed).

If Macs are slow, it is the hardware.
            If Windows is slow, it is the software.
            It would surprise you to know that OSX booting on the machine will change the CPU tuning to boost longer when the CPU is already at the apple standard 95°C. So of course OSX runs better on that machine.

Comment

False, my 2012 Mac still runs better on macOS/Linux than Windows. Sure, versions after Sierra got slower, but it still runs better than Windows on the same machine.

Under macOS it takes ~10 seconds to take me to the desktop, and then after 20 seconds it is usable.
              Under Windows it takes ~10 seconds to take me to the desktop, but it is extremely slow and takes up to 10 minutes before it is barely usable (and even so, the disk is overtaxed).

If Macs are slow, it is the hardware.
              If Windows is slow, it is the software.
              WIth mac;s the biggest issue is actually the thermals, last time I ran windows under Mac the CPU freq was lower but that was because the fan curve was less aggressive on Windows and so it throttled faster and harder.

Especially in the latest years, Mac hardware cooling didn't keep up with Intel CPU's ridiculous TDP so even Mac's had these problems later down the line (this was also one of the major reasons that Mac moved to ARM).

Personally I put liquid metal in my mac laptop and it helped a ton (lowered average degree by 10).

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

It would surprise you to know that OSX booting on the machine will change the CPU tuning to boost longer when the CPU is already at the apple standard 95°C. So of course OSX runs better on that machine.
                Booting takes one minute for both Windows and macOS. I was talking about login times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  It doesn't try to be all things to all people.
                  What it does though is acknowledging the diversity of use cases and workflows, and try as much as they can through the very narrow limits of Gnome to offer options, configurability and customizations for users to be able to satisfy those use cases and workflows. And I thank them for that. As a user inclined towards user-friendliness (like most), that's what I expect.
                  You are willing to tolerate a large amount of systemic inefficiency in order to experience something vaguely defined as "user friendliness", whereas I am not. Thus, the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

He's right about windows 10. It's utter crap. I waited for Cyberpunk last night to play, but this unholy shit started updates on it's own and restarted few times without asking. It took it two hours. Ubuntu is still better.
                    Windows doing updates on its own without regard to the user is one of the things that I hate about Windows 10. I actually paid to have my personal Windows 10 box (it dual boots) upgraded to Windows 10 Professional so I could set GPOs in order to stop that nonsense - and eliminate a lot of other nonsense that comes baked in by default with Windows 10 "home" edition. It took about 5 hours to go through it and eliminate a lot of the stupid s**t, to include automatic updating, but it works far better now. I agree, Ubuntu is far better than that with regards to that nonsense that caused my to upgrade to Windows Professional.
                    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by dirlewanger88
                      Why not do this with a proper distro, instead of Ubuntu?
                      This comment makes no sense. You aim for the biggest target when testing / benchmarking HW and SW. And that, for years, has been Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                      X