Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Preliminary Look At Radeon RX 6800 XT Windows Performance vs. Open-Source Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Preliminary Look At Radeon RX 6800 XT Windows Performance vs. Open-Source Linux Drivers

Phoronix: A Preliminary Look At Radeon RX 6800 XT Windows Performance vs. Open-Source Linux Drivers

For those wondering how the open-source Radeon Linux graphics drivers compare to the Radeon Software Windows drivers for the recently released Radeon RX 6800 XT, here are some preliminary data points looking at the OpenGL / Vulkan performance between Windows and Linux for RDNA 2.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=29768

I'm kinda surprised by this. Compared to Windows, the results aren't all that bad, but the Windows results weren't very good for OpenGL or compute so it is a little concerning. But, there are more driver updates coming up and at least these GPUs are actually usable so early on, so I'm feeling hopeful.

Comment

For open source benchmarks on Linux for a GPU I am fairly impressed. The card hasn't been out long either.

It's clear that there must be areas of improvement for the Linux drivers where Windows performs a lot better, but maybe they utilise methods or licensed code that AMD can't put into the open source drivers, or it's simply driver architecture differences.

Comment

Originally posted by dirlewanger88
        Why not do this with a proper distro, instead of Ubuntu?
        Because Ubuntu is the Windows 10 of distros.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
          For open source benchmarks on Linux for a GPU I am fairly impressed. The card hasn't been out long either.

It's clear that there must be areas of improvement for the Linux drivers where Windows performs a lot better, but maybe they utilise methods or licensed code that AMD can't put into the open source drivers, or it's simply driver architecture differences.
          As far as Vulkan goes, I suspect ACO needs to get tuned for RDNA2 yet and then I fully expect it to kick ass. As for OpenGL, AMD's proprietary OpenGL driver seriously sucks ass, I doubt their open source compiler has been really tuned for RDNA2 just yet either, but it still rocked their proprietary driver. And as for OpenCL, I don't like ROCm, I think it needs to be seriously re-thought, We need people to contribute to Clover right away, it's waaaay past due for Clover to become full featured, it must happen.

Comment

Thanks for including the dx11-results whenever applicable. Some people might read things out of context whenever those benchmarks are omitted.

Comment

The Linux vs windows on nvidia's blob whould also be interesting. It might even prove that the nvidia driver is optimized for windows while it is crapware on linux.

Comment

One has to keep in mind that Unigine Heaven and Valley opengl and directx11 backend might be different. For example I have noticed with apitrace that the heaviest shader in directx 9 is replaced by two shaders (and the texture formats changed as well) in the opengl backend. There might be similar things for directx 11 vs opengl.

Comment

Some years ago, having such comparable results for Mesa drivers for a high-end card was a pipedream. Let alone for a card that was just released.

Thanks to the community, and thanks to AMD. This is beautiful.

Comment

AMD supports Windows better than Linux!
                    In fact, they have the fastest DirectX driver on Earth... (come on, why not port DirectX 10-12 to native Linux?)
                    Even they forgot about Vulkan in the card's info page!

.....except that:

Windows: faster
                    Windows in actual use: the slowest thing ever made

Linux: slower
                    Linux in actual user: blazing fast

Comment

Working...
                    X