Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 6900 XT Launches As Flagship Card With Open-Source Drivers But Very Limited Availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veto View Post
    Just give us the 6700 instead.... And some availability of the Ryzen 5 5600X. Who cares about paper launches??
    scan.co.uk Says they have 0 outstanding orders for the 5600X, so the situation seems to be _starting_ to clear up on that front... https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/amd/ryzen-5000-faqs

Comment

A sign of the times, more vapourware launches the are not available from all good retailers. Now back to the quest to find some rocking horse dung.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Actually we are building as fast as we can - every wafer we can get is going out the door as either a GPU, CPU, APU or console SOC.
        If you cut only one die out of each wafer, that could explain the supply issues!

SCNR, I’ll show myself out the door now...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          it's too late for recalls, they'll have to redesign chip, i.e. just skip this generation
          I feel obligated at this point to mention that no problems have actually been found yet outside of availability.

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
          If you cut only one die out of each wafer, that could explain the supply issues!
          LOL - yeah, if you look at reddit everyone seems sure that we must be doing something like that.
          Last edited by bridgman; 09 December 2020, 09:50 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

I feel obligated at this point to mention that no problems have actually been found yet outside of availability.
            sorry, i didn't try to imply that, only pointed out inconsistency in conspiracy theory

Comment

sorry, i didn't try to imply that, only pointed out inconsistency in conspiracy theory
              Yep, I figured that was what you meant... only posted because it seemed a bit too easy for someone to mis-interpret.
              Test signature

Comment

Actually we are building as fast as we can - every wafer we can get is going out the door as either a GPU, CPU, APU or console SOC.
                Seems like we are starting to catch up on CPUs this month although it's probably going to take longer for GPUs.
                I did buy a HD3850 in the last 2 days of 2007 because AMD did press release that they do open-source drivers (again ... i know they had one in the past---)
                i had many amd cards from 2007 to the 6 pices of vega64 i bought in 2017...
                all the time i could not say this but now i can say it for sure: AMD really did it.

yes in 2020 they really shot the moon down.

Perfect open-source drivers for vulkan
                and for openGL as well they even start to run Nvidia-GL over Zink over Vulkan what sould result in the best experience for broken nvidia-only openGL apps and games.
                they now have good support for openCL over ROCm (I still prever MESA default Clover)
                and soon openCL will be obsolete with Compute over Vulkan and soon we will run even the OpenCL kernel over Vulkan.
                the 6900XT works watercooled with 2,7ghz and at stock it is 10% faster than a Nvidia 3090 without Ray-racing and 25% slower with Nvidia-Raytracing but at a 50% lower price compared to 3090-
                but it comes even better on AMD-Raytracing (not the shit Nvidia implementation) AMD 6900XT outperforms a 3090 easily.

on CPU side it is even better they beat intel on multicore and singlecore and a 5950X is now around 8% faster in singlecore than the fastest intel one. even next generation of intel cpu not yet released is only 5% faster means amd will still be 3% faster than the next not yet released intel 14nm shit.
                on multicore AMD 5950x is +59% faster than a 10900K even on the 100% biased userbenchmark.com website https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...50X/4071vs4086
                just see the 64-Core OC Multi Core Mixed Speed 3372 Pts
                and this website is known to be completely intel BIASED they claim 10900K is faster in singlecore but the complete world know they are wrong and just Lie.

this means AMD really did it They transformed the IT industry with opensource drivers and the fastest products on the planet earth (if you ignore the Nvidia bias raytracing implementation and you only count the AMD-raytracing implementation)

for Linux users it is clear someone must be stupid to buy intel/Nvidia.

i only see 2 rational points left for the Nvidia people: excuse one: my company force me to use and programm in CUDA... and excuse two: i use OptiX in Blender...

But i am sure in time of Vulkan compute we will soon see a vulkan based Blender backend.

so Good job in the last 13 years Bridgman/AMD.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

[-]

I want _more_ '+'

Comment

not everyone is a novideo slave like you, normal people will not buy slower novideo for 1.5 price(and normal people will ignore your amount of vram nonsense)
                    Except that the 3090 is not slower than the 6900XT. The 6900XT wins in some games (mainly in WQHD however if you are playing at this resolution the 6900XT is a waste compared to the 6800XT) but overall the 3090 is faster. It also has a lot more VRAM (which runs at faster speed, i.e. GDDR6X) and much better ray tracing.

Also if you are planning to use the open source drivers and you buy the 3090, I am sorry but you are an idiot. Either use the blob or don't buy the card at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                      for Linux users it is clear someone must be stupid to buy intel/Nvidia.

i only see 2 rational points left for the Nvidia people: excuse one: my company force me to use and programm in CUDA... and excuse two: i use OptiX in Blender...

But i am sure in time of Vulkan compute we will soon see a vulkan based Blender backend.

Thanks for the kind words. We do have a ProRender plug in for Blender which includes HW ray tracing support - I'm in the process of lining up one of the developers on our side to help get some tests in place that Michael can run for a proper ProRender vs Optix comparison. It's not clear to me right now why everyone tests with Optix but not with ProRender other than the fact NVidia added Optix support to Blender as a new back end while we added it as a plug-in.

Ditto for HIP/CUDA - a lot of the CUDA tests Michael runs have been running on HIP for a while, so hoping we can get those wrapped up for PTS as well.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X