Request: Smart Access Memory information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mlau View Post
    That SAM thing is about the driver being able to put (texture)-data directly anywhere in VRAM instead of having to upload it (in multiple pieces) to a small aperture and then using a DMA engine to move it to its final location?
    AFAIK uploads are normally handled by on-chip engines (GFX or SDMA) which are not affected by BAR size anyways. This is more about being able to access already-uploaded data in place via CPU rather than having to bring it down to system memory, update it then re-upload.
    Test signature

Comment

One of the advantages of SAM is that it makes SDMA obsolete because the CPU can write to VRAM directly. I think this is the biggest performance uplift from SAM.

Comment

Asus Crosshair VI Hero (X370) + 1700 + RX5700 here. I don't see any option that sounds like it could be this. CSM is disabled, still getting vram_vis_size = 256 MB.

I just read that the option on the BIOS was recently added on a beta BIOS for X470+ chipset BIOS... So I'm guessing Asus X370 users ain't getting it

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

This is more about being able to access already-uploaded data in place via CPU rather than having to bring it down to system memory, update it then re-upload.
          Even if you modify the data with the host cpu, you'd need to pull the data out of the card's memory over pcie into the cpu and back again; pcie cycles are *slow*, I cannot imagine
          why someone would do that on a per-frame basis (then again I'm no graphics person and have desinged my last pieces of hardware 10 years ago).

Comment

Ryzen 7 2700 + Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING bios 5603 + RX 480 Arch Linux updated.

$ AMD_DEBUG=info glxinfo | grep vram
            vram_size = 8192 MB
            vram_vis_size = 256 MB
            vram_type = 5
            vram_bit_width = 256
            has_dedicated_vram = 1

Comment

Ryzen 5 1600 + MSI B350M Gaming Pro + Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 + Arch 5.9.13

flipped a switch for crypto-mining

vram_size = 8192 MB
              vram_vis_size = 8176 MB
              vram_type = 9
              vram_bit_width = 256
              has_dedicated_vram = 1

odd that vis size still short? i wonder if there's another feature i need to look for? it's almost all there... that'd be a problem given it's not all directly accessible?
              Last edited by doomie; 09 December 2020, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Ryzen 7 3800XT + MSI B350M Mortar + Radeon RX 580 8GB + Ubuntu 20.10 (with Kisak ppa mesa fresh)
                Code:
                $ AMD_DEBUG=info glxinfo | grep vram
                vram_size = 8192 MB
                vram_vis_size = 8192 MB
                vram_type = 5
                vram_bit_width = 256
                has_dedicated_vram = 1

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post
                  Ryzen 5 1600 + MSI B350M Gaming Pro + Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 + Arch 5.9.13
                  vram_size = 8192 MB
                  vram_vis_size = 8176 MB
                  odd that vis size still short? i wonder if there's another feature i need to look for? it's almost all there... that'd be a problem given it's not all directly accessible?
                  Same here, difference is only 16 MB but it still strange. B450 Tomahawk + R5 2600 and Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT.

Other way to check is:
                  Code:
                  >dmesg | grep BAR=
                  [ 3.074548] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=8176M, BAR=8192M

Comment

Originally posted by slavikgenes View Post

Same here, difference is only 16 MB but it still strange. B450 Tomahawk + R5 2600 and Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT.
                    >dmesg | grep BAR=
                    yep.
                    Code:
                    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][    0.998403] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=8176M, BAR=8192M[/COLOR][/FONT]
                    gonna bother me til i learn what that's all about

Comment

Ryzen 3900X + Asrock X570M Pro4 + Radeon RX 5500
                      Code:
                      vram_size = 8192 MB
                      vram_vis_size = 256 MB
                      vram_type = 9
                      vram_bit_width = 128
                      has_dedicated_vram = 1
                      There is "above 4G decoding" in my BIOS but the option greyed out. Maybe I should flash my BIOS from 1.80 to latest version first.

Comment

Working...
                      X