Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan Driver Enables NGG For AMD VanGogh APUs

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Enables NGG For AMD VanGogh APUs

Up to now the Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" has only enabled Next-Gen Geometry (NGG) support by default for discrete graphics cards. But now that requirement is lifted for supporting NGG on forthcoming GFX10.3 (RDNA 2) APUs...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-VanGogh-APUs

I had the chance to do testing with a Ryzen 3400G on Linux and it was almost able to play all the games I do. Once we have a RNDA 2.0 + Zen 3 CPU (APU), I will most likely consider replacing my entire tower with a mini itx small form factor passive chassis and one of those chips, as they will most likely be more than enough for everything I do.
    Hardware is actually close to the advance level where we can stop caring about hardware!

Comment

Originally posted by ezekrb5 View Post
      I had the chance to do testing with a Ryzen 3400G on Linux and it was almost able to play all the games I do. Once we have a RNDA 2.0 + Zen 3 CPU (APU), I will most likely consider replacing my entire tower with a mini itx small form factor passive chassis and one of those chips, as they will most likely be more than enough for everything I do.
      Hardware is actually close to the advance level where we can stop caring about hardware!
      Yep. I am really waiting on the next AMD socket for my next system. I was going to pull the trigger on a new system this holiday season, only I just couldn't justify buying parts for a socket that's nearing EOL as far as new things go. With what I do, I can wait another year or so. With the performance I'm seeing in their current laptop APUs, their upcoming desktop APUs with DDR4 will really shine and should be great APUs to build jack-of-all-trades systems around.

It'll be interesting if they start leveraging their so called x86 big.LITTLE patents to put faster CPU cores farther away from the GPU cores in their APUs...have a heat buffer of slower CPU cores...if it works like that...

Comment

.. close to the advance level where we can stop caring about hardware!
        I cant stop caring about hardware especially if it keeps getting more advanced

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yep. I am really waiting on the next AMD socket for my next system. I was going to pull the trigger on a new system this holiday season, only I just couldn't justify buying parts for a socket that's nearing EOL as far as new things go. With what I do, I can wait another year or so. With the performance I'm seeing in their current laptop APUs, their upcoming desktop APUs with DDR4 will really shine and should be great APUs to build jack-of-all-trades systems around.

It'll be interesting if they start leveraging their so called x86 big.LITTLE patents to put faster CPU cores farther away from the GPU cores in their APUs...have a heat buffer of slower CPU cores...if it works like that...
          Well if you buy a powerful CPU like 5800X or 5900X, you could just buy a current gen CPU/motherboard, and then update when DDR6 generation comes around.

Staying on an old socket is only a problem for the "buy weak CPU first and upgrade to powerful CPU later" plan. If you can afford it, just buy the powerful CPU now.

Comment

It's awesome. I already got to that point when Zen+ and Vega10 APU's became a thing. Only thing I need that isn't there yet is OpenCL.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Well if you buy a powerful CPU like 5800X or 5900X, you could just buy a current gen CPU/motherboard, and then update when DDR6 generation comes around.

Staying on an old socket is only a problem for the "buy weak CPU first and upgrade to powerful CPU later" plan. If you can afford it, just buy the powerful CPU now.
              My plan is to get the best APU they offer (or that I can afford ) on their next socket and pair it with at least 32GB of ram, an NVME SSD, and a mid range GPU and upgrade things over time from there. More ram, a backing SSD for my current ZFS HDD mirror that's getting passed along, and things like that. The APU and the GPU is to keep power usage low while having the option to use the GPU for games and VMs. I don't need a 64 core extravaganza as much as I need a 16-24 core system with 2-3 graphics cards...and only one of those needs to be gaming grade.

I meant DDR5 above, not DDR4

Comment

Off topic, but since we're discussing AMD hardware:
                I'd love to see a console-esque PC. Not a PC cut down to console size, but rather (and just using existing stuff here for example) something like an 8c/8t Zen3 & 24-32CU RDNA2 with 256bit DDR5, or for a true luxury system, 32GB of HBM2/3 on a 2048bit bus. An all in one, high performance package in a console form factor.

Comment

Will AMD allow us to actually buy APUs? Renoir was really exciting until we found we couldn't buy them.

Considering that Intel Xe is faster than Raven Ridge, either AMD will have to come up with something or we APU fiends will have to switch to Intel.

I'd much rather stay with AMD (for the obvious reasons) but Xe is the top of the pile for Intel while Raven Ridge is the bottom for AMD.

Then again, if AMD came out with something too soon, I'd be complaining: "I just got my Raven Ridge system stable!"

Exciting times.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
                    Will AMD allow us to actually buy APUs? Renoir was really exciting until we found we couldn't buy them.

Considering that Intel Xe is faster than Raven Ridge, either AMD will have to come up with something or we APU fiends will have to switch to Intel.

I'd much rather stay with AMD (for the obvious reasons) but Xe is the top of the pile for Intel while Raven Ridge is the bottom for AMD.

Then again, if AMD came out with something too soon, I'd be complaining: "I just got my Raven Ridge system stable!"

Exciting times.
                    Those have been my thoughts for the last 2 months, 11th series CPUs will be available on a couple months and they will feature these new integrated graphics (which are currently available on tiger lake notebooks and Mini-PCs), I prefer AMD as well (better CPU performance) but will decent Van Gogh APUs (Zen3+RNDA2) be available for purchase? So far AMD on the desktop has the 3400G, and it's not easy to find on a proper retail price...
                    The Ryzen 4750G are a Ebay Myth which costs stupid amounts of money and is outperformed gpu-wise by the latest intel stuff.

Hope this gets sorted out, I want to replace my main rig with a system featuring the Streacom DB1 and no dGPU. Maybe I will end up waiting to 2022, and go for a DDR5 APU.

Comment

Working...
                    X